8 Reasons Titanic Is The Greatest Movie Of All Time

Titanic will always be the story that shaped my childhood. From my fascination with the actual historical event, to my undying love affair with Jack Dawson, Titanic will always be in my heart.

22230
Wordpress

The movie Titanic has always held a really special place in my heart. It is pretty much my go-to chick flick on the rainy days, the bad days, the crying days, and even the happy ones, as well. I first saw Titanic in theaters when I was a mere four years old (yes you read that correct). But I loved it so much on the big screen, that I begged my mom to take me back to see it.. three more times to be exact. That's what happens when an only child becomes obsessed with something, your wacko parents tend to jump on board the crazy train, too. And, of course, we purchased the movie once it came out on VHS (shout out to that two tape collector's edition). I watched it so many times at home that the tape literally started falling apart. I cannot tell you how much money I (my parents) have spent to feed this addiction.

Nearly twenty years after the movie's release, and my obsession still stands. I have watched the movie more times than I can count. I can speak every line before it's spoken. And my hope for Leo and Kate finally professing their love for each other is still somewhere in the back of my mind every time Oscar season rolls around. This movie has been with me through thick and thin, but not simply for superficial reasons. It is not just a romantic flick for me, it is inspiring, captivating, informative, and above all, entertaining. So sit back, relax, and let me tell you why Titanic is the greatest movie of all time.

1. They rise above socioeconomic status and labels

Jack Dawson was the poor, nomadic type (think modern day homeless hipster). He did not stand a chance conversing with Titanic's elite. These were not just rich people on a ship, the elite first class cabins were home to some of the wealthiest people in the entire world during that time period. Jack was bold, courageous, and daring when he shared such a brave statement with the group. The full quote goes something like this, “I got everything I need right here with me. I got air in my lungs, a few blank sheets of paper. I mean, I love waking up in the morning not knowing what's gonna happen or, who I'm gonna meet, where I'm gonna wind up. Just the other night I was sleeping under a bridge and now here I am on the grandest ship in the world having champagne with you fine people. I figure life's a gift and I don't intend on wasting it. You don't know what hand you're gonna get dealt next. You learn to take life as it comes at you... to make each day count.” Jack showed Titanic's "rich and famous" that money is powerless without happiness and fulfillment. He made each day count, not because of his finances (or lack thereof), but because of his unique outlook on life.

2. Tackling the topic of mental illness (way before it was politically correct to do so)

I believe the reason I was so deeply drawn to Rose's character is because of the transparency James Cameron gave her. Mental illness is just now becoming a real talking point among most Americans, and James Cameron came out swinging back in 1997. Less than an hour into the film, Rose attempts suicide. She feels misunderstood, used, and clearly abused by her soon-to-be husband. She was trapped and felt like suicide was the only way out. This is real and this is, unfortunately, relatable for so many people throughout the world. Mental health NEEDS to be talked about. Suicide NEEDS to be talked about. And I think it is absolutely beautiful that James Cameron addressed it so boldly in this movie.

3. Their vulnerability

Jack and Rose have more vulnerability and rawness in their relationship than most people do in a lifetime of loving each other. Sure, "it's just a movie", you say. But humor me, they love each other so deeply and so passionately that they are willing to risk it all for one another. For so long, Rose needed someone to look at her like a real person, instead of a "porcelain doll" that you can pick up from a shelf anytime you need someone to build your ego (I'm looking at you, Cal Hockley). Jack was the first person to see her, like really, really see her, and he loved her despite her crazy, and despite her flaws. His love was authentic. And for a pretty girl (or really any girl) authentic love does not come around often.

4. Their love broke boundaries

.

Sure, it is the typical "rich girl, poor boy" scenario, but in my eyes, Titanic made it happen. And not in some forceful, "this is for a movie" kind of way. They actually fell for each other. She was able to look past his third class ticket status, and he found a way to view her as more than just a pretty, polished rich girl. Their love was powerful, emotional, and gripping. Breaking down those walls could not be easy, especially in a time period where EVERYTHING revolved around social class and reputation.

5. Women can be classy and sassy AT THE SAME TIME

As time progressed in the film, we find out that Rose is not your average, timid, old-school kind of gal. For decades centuries women have been forced to bite their tongue, sit still, and look pretty. Rose broke the mold, especially for a movie placed in the 1910's. She is your average "pretty rich girl" in the beginning, but as the hours press on we learn that she is assertive, honest, outspoken, and inspiring. By the end of the movie, she cares more about her happiness than the judgmental comments from those around her. A fight all women have had to face at one point or another in their lifetimes.

6. Hopelessness

Of course, the obvious, Titanic displays a pretty depressing and hopeless message by the time the credits are rolling. But in my honest opinion, it is a necessary hopelessness. It is jaw-dropping, disturbing, and almost unreal. Watching a movie with so much death really puts matters into perspective. You truly never know what tomorrow holds. You could have a first class ticket on an "unsinkable ship" with every conceivable detail of your life planned out, and still end up near death in the ice cold North Atlantic Ocean. Nothing in life is certain. No ship is unsinkable. And nobody leaves this life unscathed. There will be trials, errors, misfortune, and death. It is inevitable. Life is not all sunshine and fairy-tales, Titanic displays that, and so much more.

7. Choosing a life partner has nothing to do with income

This particular quote has always stuck out to me, and even confused me at first, because as a kid watching the movie, you don't fully get it. Let's be real, some adults would not even understand the concept. Of course, every girl reading this now is shaking her head in disagreement, swearing up and down that she would choose Jack Dawson every time. But level with me here, and please be honest. If a rich, well-to-do, high society "Chuck Bass type" wanted to marry you, would you really leave him for a backwoods, Wisconsin boy who makes his money by painting naked women? Sure, Jack is absolutely stunning and probably one of the most genuine and kind people in all of Hollywood's "movie history". I'm not downgrading that at all. But choosing the best person to spend your life with is not an easy task, especially when every one around you is feeding you lies and talking about you behind your back. Choosing to be "his whore" instead of "your wife" is not just an empowering quote. It means making a decision to be with the person who makes you better, not just the person who sounds better on paper.

8. Hopefulness

Every time I watch Titanic, I walk away with the idea that love DOES exist. If a couple as odd, unexpected, and quirky as Jack and Rose can fall in love, then anyone has a chance. Titanic exhibits hopelessness (obviously), but there is also hopefulness, as well. There is hope that love exists, love can win, and that sometimes love does not come in the shape or form that you were expecting. And just because someone dies, that does not discredit the love that they had here on earth. We all know that the movie ends with Dawson's demise, but that does not mean that their love didn't exist. It was real, it was wonderful, and it was pure.

For some people, Titanic will always be that annoying and cliche chick flick, but to me, it will be the story that shaped my childhood. From my fascination with the actual historical event, to my undying love affair with Jack Dawson; Titanic will always be in my heart, and I have no intention of "letting go" anytime soon.

From Your Site Articles