No Place Like Home

No Place Like Home

Growing up, living on your own and figuring out what you what to be when you grow up can be exhausting and scary.

77
No Place Like Home
Maria McKinny

I’ve lived in Kansas City for 2.5 years and I love it. During this time, I lived by myself for a year and a half. I got a dog. I have explored and have learned. At times, I have depended on no one but myself.

Now that I’m going to grad school, I live in my sister and brother-in-law’s basement and nanny my 1-year-old nephew for them when I'm not in class or at my internship. It really is the sweetest gig. We should have our own TV show.

I love the feeling the city gives you when the Royals make the post season and I love the smell of BBQ! However, despite my love for KC, my heart will always be in Harrison County.

My hometown is in rural NW Missouri, surrounded by crops and livestock. It’s also totally normal for a tractor to be rollin’ down Main Street. Community members are hard-working and genuinely good people. My graduating class had less than 80 people. We have three stop lights, some fast food places, a Wal-Mart, Dollar General and Hy-Vee. We also have a lot of banks for some reason. So many memories from high school include jeeps, fishing ponds and Cherry Pepsi from One Stop gas station. Others include early morning softball practices and Friday night football. My favorite part of those events was the socializing.

KC is my new love, but sometimes there is no place like home. Here are 5 reasons why going home is the best.

1. Home Cooked Food

When I go home, my parents will cook some of my favorite meals. Home cooked meals are comforting and food always tastes better when your mom makes it. Sometimes, you just need her mashed ‘taters, okay?

2. Community Members Miss You

Being from a small town, people are curious as to what you have been up to since high school and what exciting things have been happening. I can’t go to Hy-Vee or the gas station without seeing at least 4 people I know. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

3. There Really Is No Reason To Pack A Bag

I rarely change my clothes when I go to my parents' house. That's just a fact. I do it every time and then laugh at myself when I realized I’ve worn the same shirt the last few days and I’m lucky if I’ve showered. Honesty is the best policy, right?

4. Free Laundry

Do I really even need to say anything more? One time in college, I didn’t do laundry for six weeks. What a talent I have! Also, why does your parents' laundry soap always smell so much better than yours?

5. Sleep

Sleeping in until noon or just getting caught up from late nights and early mornings, it doesn’t matter. Something about sleeping in your old bed, in your old room is just the best. Nobody is being loud or yelling down the hall, or above/below you waking you up. Between work, school and whatever else you do every day, this rest is much needed!

I love city life, but there really is no place like home.