8 Reasons Why Dogs Make Better Friends Than People

Sometimes, people suck, but dogs will never disappoint us.

157

If you're having trouble with bad friends, perhaps you should invest in a friend with a bit more fur and a lot less bulls**t. If you're worried about the cost of a dog, just think about all those times your friends wasted your cash: not paying for gas, dodging the tip after a meal out, forcing you to go on that shopping trip when you're really just too broke, etc. Stop wasting your time on fake friends. Dogs will always be real. Still not convinced? Here's some more reasons why dogs are the superior friends.

1. Dogs will never try to make things about them.

You come home after a long day at work, and all you want to do is let out your frustration to your friend/roommate/SO. You get halfway through your rant and you hear the dreaded “But my day was so much worse.” Can’t we just have one rage without someone trying to throw their own pity party? Dogs just quietly listen while they lay in our laps, occasionally doing that cute puppy head tilt when we rant a little too loud.

2. Dogs will never tell you you're being "clingy."

You can’t be the slightest bit needy without getting a complaint from your friends. Sent too many texts in a row? “Ugh you’re so annoying.” Asked to hang out two days in a row? “I need more time to myself.” Dogs will never do that to you. You could kiss and hug them for twenty-four hours straight without a single complaint.

3. Dogs won't bail on brunch plans.

You’ve had these brunch plans for weeks. You even had to make reservations because the spot is so trendy. Your friend has bailed so many times before, but this time will be different right? And then you get the text “Hey. Sorry I can’t make it. Something came up.” You brush it off thinking for sure that there must be some kind of emergency because otherwise why would your friend just abandon you? And then an hour later you see on Snapchat that they’re out hanging with one of their other friends. You know who would never do that to you? Your dog.

4. Dogs will never throw a party without you.

You’ve seen the same group photo on Instagram at least four times tonight. All of your friends are hanging out and you didn’t even get an invite, just a lame excuse like “Sorry, we figured you were busy.” Your dog would never do this, but will also keep you company when all of your human friends disappoint you.

5. Dogs won't bring up politics.

I repeat. Dogs won't bring up politics.

6. Dogs will probably love every S/O you bring home.

Whether it be some rando you met at the bar or on tinder, or the guy/girl you’ve been dreaming out since sixth grade, your dog will always support your relationships. They’ll even make room for a third during snuggle time. If your heart gets broken they’ll be there to lick up your tears. (And if they don’t like your new bae, it could be a sign of a real issue. Dogs are great at reading people.)

7. Dogs will never tell you that you look bad.

The best days are the days you don’t have to put on makeup or change out of your sweats. Your friends complain that you didn’t “try hard enough” if you look lazy during a hangout, but your dog will never care what you’re wearing. That baggy old tee shirt you haven’t washed in days is way better for cuddling anyway because it’s so comfy, you don't care if they drool on it, and it smells (very) distinctly like you.

8. Unconditional Love.

If nothing else, dogs will always love you. They’ll never leave your side, and will probably lay by the door for hours until you come home. Try not to think about it. You’ll never want to leave your house.