7 Reasons Why College Is So Much Better Than High School

"Is college really that much better than high school?" Heck yeah!

230
depauladmission.tumblr.com

Summer is on the horizon for many students. Those students who are on the semester schedule in college are done. Those of us who are still stuck while watching everyone else at the beach understand the struggle of the quarter system. As kids are graduating high school (yes, kids to us college students) it can be a scary time; many events are happening at once. The ultimate question that many new college students have is: Is college Really that much better than high school? Simply put, heck yeah it is.

1. To be blunt, no one cares what you do.

`

We are paying a lot of money for this education and many of us are not going to waste this time. Unless you’re friends with the people, you will see them in class, maybe work together on a project or two, but ultimately you most likely will not see them outside of class. So do whatever you want.

2. You get to escape “the everyone knows everyone and everything” environment.

I went to a small school in Indiana. It seemed as if everyone knew everything you did… all the time, even the teachers. For college, most of us will attend a university that has about 30,000 people all around us. This gives you the ability to ignore people you don’t get along with and hang out with the ones you do. You will not always know someone and sometimes that’s a good thing.

3. You get to pick your classes and your schedule

One of the best experiences about college is being able to decide your own schedule. Finally, you get to avoid the arts or science classes you dreaded in high school while taking classes that actually relate to your ultimate goals. Another benefit of this is if you hate 8:00 am classes you don't have to take them! You get to pick if you want all morning classes, afternoon classes, or even night classes.

4. Show up if you want, but no one is there to make you go anymore

College gives you a type of freedom that we have not experienced before. In high school teachers took attendance and if you weren’t there often times you would get a phone call to home. In college, the professors don’t take attendance, don’t care if you show up late, you can get up to use the bathroom whenever, wear what you want (including pajamas), and are able to eat in most of your classes. Professors will teach if you show up or don’t, they continue to get paid either way. Use this new found freedom wisely.

5. Exam Week

There are not enough words to describe the feelings of finals week. Every student will show up, even people you have never seen before in class. Everyone around you seems to be in a caffeine and lack of sleep coma. It is one of the worst weeks of the year, but after you finish is one of the best feelings ever.

6. Parties:

It’s Thursday? Throw a party in celebration. College is stereotypically all about parties; this isn’t incorrect, parties are a big part of college. Countless parties can be found on a weekend and you will have ample choices depending on the type of party you want to go to. College parties are a lot of fun and can get wild, but always remember to be safe. This is apart of college and it definitely should not be missed out on.

7. If you thought high school sports were hyped, just wait.

Depending on the college you attend different sports teams will be obsessed over, especially if you’re D1. College sports are one of the best parts about the experience. Attending sports games with your friends, tailgating, winning, the amazing stadiums or courts, and the celebrations after create some of the best memories. If you thought your high school sporting events were lit, just wait.

All these adventures will create an unbelievable experience for you, but creating a new start is the best. This is a brand new opportunity to create yourself again, many people do not know you yet; be yourself. College gives you the opportunity to start fresh with new people in a new environment. Let people get to know you, make new friends, go to parties, attend sporting events, go to class, and have fun. These are some of the best years of your life.