4 Reasons To Consider A Career In The Medical Field

A career is more than a paycheck, rather it is one's calling.

114
designhealth.com

As a second-year college student who dreams of one day working within the vast field of medicine, I have found and read just about every article imaginable pertaining to the ever-changing and exciting field. Personally, I have always known that I would end up in the medical field because I want my career to be more than just a paycheck or a place I am forced to spend five plus days a week! Rather, I want to make a difference as well as continue to learn every day. For these reasons, I have compiled a list of four reasons why college students who want a meaningful career should consider and possibly pursue a career in medicine.

1. The number one reason to pursue a career within the medical field is job security. Contrary to a number of other industries, jobs in the medical field continue to grow rapidly and show no signs of decreasing. For example; the U.S. Department of Labor predicts the health care system will develop over "three million jobs between the years of 2006 to 2016," while the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics states that “projects jobs will grow more than twenty percent from 2008 through 2018.”

2. Careers in health care come with the opportunity for continuing one’s education and career advancement. For instance, the cost of promoting an already trusted employee is found to cost an employer less than hiring a new individual. As a direct result of this circumstance, a number of employers in the health care system voluntarily reimburse educational expenses for their trusted employees such as nurses to continue their education to become nurse practitioners, physician’s assistants, certified registered nurse anesthetists, or to specialize in popular areas including pediatrics, emergency care, oncology, and neonatal services.

3. Individuals in the medical field earn a favorable salary through performing work that interests the individual and makes a difference in the lives of a number of American families. Anyone working in health care, whether a doctor, nurse, or financial manager will make an average starting wage of “$15 to $50 per hour,” depending on his or her level of degree, training, and experience. Additionally, possibly the greatest perk of working in the medical field is knowing that every single day you have the knowledge, training, and the ability to make a difference in a patient’s life by performing a job you love!

4. Lastly, students should consider a job in the medical field because of the growing diversity and change in location. As generations continue to progress, diversity within the education sector of medicine has increased and has helped to produce culturally accepting health care providers. According to healthmanagementcareers.org, “the field is changing in terms of how and where care is delivered, who is providing those services, and how that care is financed.” For example, one’s role in health care settings have expanded to places such as “clinics, nursing homes, physician offices, public health departments, rehabilitation centers, and universities for research institutions” such as the Cleveland Clinic.