It's Time You Realized You Can't Do Everything

Let the world down from your shoulders.
1204

Dealing with pressures and anxieties associated with life’s obstacles is a daily burden. Whether you’re overworked, stressed about school, or the future you see for yourself seems to slowly become more foggy than clear; the pressure of your responsibilities is detrimental to your health.

What’s worse is when the pressures that you feel are the result of your very own doing. I know i’m not alone when I confess that I am often times a bit of a perfectionist. Working tirelessly to succeed, to always be the best at what it is that I do, and to put all my effort into every task - great or small. Still, even a perfectionist knows their limit. I also have a tendency to not say no, which becomes another unfortunate pressure. Not only do I take on my own responsibilities, but I also willingly take on the responsibilities of others when I am asked to do a task. I know that I am beyond busy, yet I say yes because I fear letting anyone down.

Sounds sweet right?

It doesn’t feel that way when it’s 2 a.m. and there’s still so much to take care of and not enough time to complete it all. Most can attest to the feeling of not wanting to disappoint others, while also feeling helpless when it comes to accomplishing so many daunting tasks that just seem to be piling up like unwanted junk mail all at once.

To these issues, I have no definite solution, however I have come to realize that there are a few ways to alleviate some stress. Making time for yourself is important, especially for someone who likes to please others, because people of this nature tend to put their needs on hold to care for the needs of others. This only creates a boiling pot of stress which eventually boils over, spewing all the bottled tension out onto those who may not deserve such wrath.

Having someone to confide in helps tremendously. Someone close who’s willing to lend an ear just so that you can express how you truly feel, without feeling censored, is especially important for people who feel overwhelmed and may not have the opportunity to release their honest feelings at any given time. So grab a friend, sibling, or parent who will listen in detail to what’s on your mind. Even if they can’t offer any advice, just the act of listening is enough for anyone because at least you will feel you are being heard.

Although I still struggle with saying no to people, especially people I care about, I know that we are all just human. That’s right, no super heroes or mutants with unlimited supplies of power or omniscience, just plain old human, therefore my capabilities are limited. As a human, I can only do so much. I must learn that I can’t agree to do everything that is thrown at me. My personal challenge is to work on firmly declining requests when I am fully aware of the overwhelming work load I already have. Remaining firm in my diction and reminding myself that I am not being selfish or inconsiderate rather making time for “me” will ensure that I understand my strengths and acknowledge that I am no superwoman nor do I wish to be.

Recognizing that you don’t have to do or be everything is something that perfectionists find difficult. Once this is acknowledged, the road to lightening the heavy burdens we build for ourselves becomes clear. This opens our lives for time to be spent doing important things such as spending time with people we care about and and appreciating all that life has to offer.