The Reality Of The Utopia

The Reality Of The Utopia

Is there such thing as a perfect world?

48
The Reality Of The Utopia
Tes Teach

At my summer camp in Vermont, each day is topped off with a time of reflection in cabins. The cabin sits in a circle, and discusses a topic of the choosing of the leader. The topics can range from honesty, respect, good qualities in a friend, to "what would your superpower be?" There is one vesper that I as a leader make sure I do every session, because I feel like it is not only fun, but so important. It is a discussion about utopias, or perfect worlds. This is a very interesting topic to think about, because it is clear that our world is imperfect and flawed.

The first question to ponder is thinking about more artificial additions that would make the world a better place. The weather would always be sunny. Water slides and roller coasters as the primary form of transformation? Sign me up. Trampolines on every floor space possible? Bouncing in the hallways on the way to class would for sure be a more fun alternative to just walking on plain old linoleum floor. Perhaps puppies could just be everywhere? And what about if precipitation wasn't water, but ICE CREAM and CANDY?! These things would for sure make the world perfect.

When asking this question to my circle of girls, this question really ignites their imaginations and their excitement and laughter seem like they are loud enough to be heard throughout the entire camp. It is so fun to think about the extraordinary becoming apart of our everyday lives. Next, I ask them to take a more realistic approach to the idea of a utopia. Answers to this question usually include concepts such as world peace, an end to world poverty and hunger, no bullying, and no sickness. This question is definitely a stark contrast from the original question with the raining desserts and abundance of puppies, but it relates to it on an unfortunate level.

Unfortunately, the achievement of conquering something like world hunger is almost just as improbable as roller coasters being our primary mode transportation. A perfect world is something that is impossible, for there will always be flaws and struggle that its inhabitants have to endure. However, we do have the ability to make the world "more perfect." A small gesture of kindness can make another's day. Putting someone else's needs before your own can contribute to the making of this "more perfect world." Volunteering every once in a while can make a huge difference in the lives of others. In short, we are put on this world to be kind, humble, and always be helpful to others. These small gestures and acts put together can definitely create one big, beautiful community. We were put on this Earth to build bridges, not tear them down. Though it is sad to admit that our world isn't perfect, we have the power to bring it to as close to perfection as possible. At camp, this is the message that I hope to send to my campers. One person can make a difference, and bring us closer to a better world.