Reality Check, School is Back in Session

The school year must go on, break a leg Dreyfoos students!

36
Alanna Hurley

It's August everyone, and we all know what that means--a boatload of anxiety. Dreyfoos students, we are also aware of what this means, just mix the word "art" in there somewhere and it's pretty much the same exact thing. Another school year, another year in denial that we have math homework too, not just a monologue to memorize.

The still well-nourished fable that Dreyfoos kids have no "real" homework, and only have to work on their artwork has become slightly comedic. Believe what you'd like, but that couldn't be further from the truth, we happen to scavenge for As and Bs just like the rest of you. Trust me, we'd love to not have to worry about our chemistry assignments or English essays, but it's still just high school, not "High School Musical."

Seriously though, it's a snap back into reality, going back to school. Most of us spent five out of the seven days in a week this summer staring at a screen. Sad to say, but for the most part, true. It's time to get back to knowing what day of the month it is, waking up before 12 p.m., and writing our names on every sheet of paper we touch, or even writing at all. It's sort of refreshing, having some structure because despite how much we despise having homework and waking up before the sun, having some organization is good for us.

It's stimulating being able to attend a school that's so diverse and complex. I mean of course there's stereotypes for every art area and they exist at every high school. Whether we like them or not, they're real, but despite the cliches, everyone is so divergent. Besides judging people based on their appearances or social status, you're judged by your talent. Which tends to be a good inclination because you have to have the talent to get in, so everyone attending, has their own niche. We all strive to be great at what we do.

High school is supposed to be the place where everyone finds themselves. I truly believe that at Dreyfoos this becomes ten times easier, because rather than wanting to be like everyone else and be accepted, the trend is to be different. Of course, there will always be division, it's still high school, but at the same time this division becomes less evident, given how unlike everyone is. It's a great feeling to know that you can openly be who you are, and not be afraid to do so, and even though I dread going back to school and having to see that mile high stack of homework on my desk, I'm glad I can do it as myself, and nobody else.