10 Realities Of Being An Extrovert

10 Realities You've Experienced If You're The Extrovert Of Your Friend Group

"I attract a crowd, not because I'm an extrovert or I'm over the top or I'm oozing with charisma. It's because I care." - Gary Vaynerchuk

162
Bekah Pounds

Anyone who knows me is well aware of the fact that I am fascinated by personality tests and what they tell us from a psychology perspective. That means that I have most definitely taken both the Enneagram and the Myers-Briggs. That being said, anyone who knows me well knows that I didn't need either of these tests to definitively tell me that I am as extroverted as they come.

Although, with the help of the sixteen personalities test, sort of an extension of the Myers-Briggs, I learned that I am at worst an 84 percent extrovert. Again, anyone that knows me would very well vouch for the accuracy in that result. That being said there are a few key things I've learned about those of us on the more extroverted side of the scale. So if you're anything like me and deem yourself to find your energy in being immersed in the presence of others, this one is for you.

1. Talking is your own form of caffeine 

Talking is something that comes natural to extroverts. It's as if it is its own form of language to us in a way. I'm not one who indulges myself in a dull conversation. So be fair warned that if we have a conversation there's a strong chance I won't shut up and will more than likely go off on multiple tangents because I love to talk.

2. Being alone for extended periods of time makes you sad 

Between the end of summer of 2018 and going back to school there was a month and a half time period where the longest time I was away from people was when I was sleeping. The first Saturday that I was alone for more than four hours I genuinely had no clue what to do with myself and felt utterly unproductive. I love being surrounded by people which is why a vast majority of my time is spent in the company of others.

3. You hardly ever meet a stranger 

When I meet someone and get to know them I don't see it as a one time encounter. I love getting to know people, so majority of the time when I meet knew people after only having a conversation with them, no matter the length of the conversation, I feel as if we are friends.

4. Sometimes you forget to listen as much as you talk 

There have been multiple conversations where I can find myself talking for an extended amount of time without even realizing it. It's not because I don't care about what the other person has to say, quite the opposite actually, but I merely tend to go off on tangents and forget how to shut up from time to time. We all need a Mia in our lives to remind us that we have two ears and one mouth because we need to sometimes listen more than we speak.

5. Silences make you uncomfortable 

I'm not saying that all silences are awkward or uncomfortable, around the right people they can actually be enjoyable. For the most part, though, lulls in conversations or silence, especially in one on one situations, can be crippling for an extrovert. It's not that we don't appreciate silence, it's more or less that we tend to overthink what the silence means and desperately need a way to break the ice.

6. Everyone always assumes you love being the center of attention 

Fun fact: I absolutely hate being the center of attention. this doesn't apply to all extroverts because there are some that thrive off of being the center of attention. What I am saying is that just because I love being around others and always have something to talk about or discuss doesn't mean I enjoy being the one everyone's attention is drawn to. Public speaking is honestly my kryptonite and I only do it when absolutely necessary.

7. At times, you can become insecure about how loud and outgoing you can be 

Image: What is Insecurity? Why Insecurity Is A Selfish Act

goo.gl

As an extrovert we are keenly aware of the fact that we fill the room with vivacious and robust personalities majority of the time. That means that we can be loud and forget that others aren't always as appreciative of our extroversion as we are. That being said, telling an extrovert to "hush" or "be quiet" can sometimes cause us to become insecure about our personality traits and feel as if we can't fully, freely be ourselves.

8. People are always shushing you when you get ~a little~ excited over something

Yes, O am well aware of the fact that I become like a five-year-old on Christmas morning when I find something exciting. No, I don't appreciate you berating me for that. Extroverts aren't afraid to let others know how they're feeling and that include when we get excited, sorry if that is slightly annoying from time to time. Take it or leave it.

9. No, you don't have an off button so please stop asking 

Being an extrovert is part of a person's personality, asking them to "turn it off" is like asking them to hide who they really are.

10. Introverts make up a good portion of your friend group 

Maybe it has to do with opposites attracting, who really knows but a lot of times extroverts and introverts seem to inqtemigle well My friends say it's because we have a mutualistic relationship where I get the company I need from being around them and they are content to listen adn get the limited community they need without having to immerse themselves into large groups of people.

As I sit writing this I am becoming acutely more aware of the fact that there are far greater than just ten different things that extroverts know to be true about themselves. If I sat here and wrote every single thing out though I would be writing for an exponentially long time. So here are the first ten things that easily come to mind when I think of what it's like to be an extrovert in our big complex world filled with varying different personalities. All of this being said, no matter if you're an extrovert or an introvert learn how to use your personality to become the best version of yourself in your sphere of influence.