VS fashion show

The Victoria's Secret Fashion Show Doesn't Represent The Image Of Real Sized Women

It's up to us as women to let them know that what they put on television and advertisement doesn't represent us any longer.

158

We've all watched the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show and we've all felt self-conscious after watching it. Something we use to see as iconic and a big night in the fashion world is just outdated and boring. The time and effort that go into these pieces are beautiful and wasted on stereotype casting.

All the women are perfect from every head on their head to the tip of their toes. But that's not the only people buying from the company! Lingerie companies like Savage X Fenty and Aerie are THRIVING with their companies that feature everyday women. Yes, we love seeing Gigi and Bella Hadid on the runway, but they don't represent the day to day woman. We want those girls on stage, but we want it to be more inclusive to other women.

Savage X Fenty had their first ever fashion show this fall, and Rihanna pulled it off perfectly. Yes, there was Gigi and Bella, but it wasn't just about celebrities it was a celebration of all women. Featuring athletic builds, plus size, pregnant, and high fashion supermodels. They were simple designs but cut in sexy shapes and sexy colors for every model. Rihanna is praised for her creativity, and work but her trick is simply inclusiveness and diversity.

Aerie Real is a campaign that was launched in 2014 that empowered women and celebrated inclusivity. They cast 57 non-models to model their clothing and showed what it's really like to wear Aerie. Going on to cast models with illness and disabilities in newer campaigns. It is possible for brands to thrive with real women wearing their clothing! Savage X Fenty and Aeria are living proof.

There are no more excuses for Victoria's Secret to not include all women. Victoria's Secret Cheif Marketing Officier Ed Razek said to Elle: "I don't think we can be all things to all customers." Well, you could at least try? Elle going on to say "Razek talks as if casting in his show is an objective metric as if the models are competing to win a 400M race and not working very hard to meet his physical standard. And, bewilderingly, he talks as if he doesn't have the power to change the standard. He does. And if he does it could make a big difference for millions of women, all of whom have money to spend. (Victoria's Secret sales are on the decline after all.)" They have so much more power than they understand with the standard of beauty.