The Reagan Legacy

The Reagan Legacy

A tribute to Nancy Reagan.
9

Ronald Reagan is seen as one of the greatest presidents in American history. When the first lady of one of the greats passed away on March 6th, the world mourned. After Reagan's death in 2004, Nancy Reagan was mostly out of the public spotlight. Mrs. Reagan was one of the only living reminders left from the Reagan presidency. After Ronald's death, Nancy devoted her life to living out Ronald's dream and helping to keep America free. What many didn't know, is that Nancy Reagan had a strong influence over the president and played a role in some of his presidential decisions, from the china in the white house to starting a Just Say No drug program.

Mr. Ronald Reagan is remembered for helping to put an end to the Cold War, allowing prayer in public school, and surviving an assassination attempt. He was a dedicated Republican who further advanced the party's platform; in fact, he is seen today as a symbol of greatness to the Republican party. Every presidential candidate, every Republican strives to be like he was. After he served two terms as president, he left office with one of the highest approval ratings in American history. He broke down many social barriers by appointing the first female Supreme Court justice, Sandra Day O'Connor and the now well-known former justice, Anton Scalia who died shortly before Nancy Reagan.

The death of Scalia was just the beginning to the end of the Reagan era, Scalia was one of the few things left from Reagan's presidency. When he died and then shortly thereafter Mrs. Reagan, it was clear that the country was about to face a new generation of leadership.

Both Nancy and Ronald lived long happy lives, Ronald died at 93 and Nancy at 94.