Reading Books Again

Reading Books Again

It's a lot harder to read now that social media and electronics have come into play.

1
Reading Books Again

I had always been an avid reader all through elementary and middle school, and to my surprise a lot of people didn't share my love for this activity. But a lot changes, and with high school, came a cell phone and Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook. And if all else failed, I watched Youtube, which took up more time than it should. Don't get me wrong, I still would read the books for school and a few books for pleasure every once in a while, but I always wished I could read more. Along with after school activities, work and school, there just didn't seem to be time, which I now see as ridiculous.

Recently I just started to get bored of the routine of social media. The times of day you check them, having to answer your Snapchat streaks and making sure you don't miss anything on your feed, it just became tiring. Then I started not caring as much about making sure everything was liked and everything was checked on social media. Instead of watching the movie I'd seen twice before I picked up a book that I wanted to read again, or the book I got for my birthday. I started to love it again. I had always thought, "Yeah I'll start reading regularly again sometime," but I actually started turning out a book every week and it felt great. I started to realize that I missed doing a lot of things that were taken out of the routine when social media was put in.

I went back and read "The Catcher in the Rye" and I read "The Bell Jar," which I always wanted to read. I also do a lot of theater so I was able to read and analyze "The Glass Menagerie," "Brighton Beach Memoir" and "The Children's Hour," which were all excellent and I highly recommend. I'm so glad I shut off the screens and finally started doing something I really enjoy again. It also is just so interesting to go on adventures or learn something new just by choosing what I want to read for the day. And it helps immensely with taking your mind off anything you are struggling with. I am so glad I started this amazing past time again.