Reading is the Perfect Escape from Reality. Now if I Could Pick Up the Book and Read.

With all this extra time on my hands, I have more of an opportunity to try new things and maybe pick up a new hobby. Then why is picking up a book to read so hard to do anymore?

947
Photo by Matias North on Unsplash

Response to “Why Should You Start Reading Again?”

Since graduating college, I have had more time on my hands. After eight hours of working, I come home for my “5 to 9” job which in college was homework, a part-time job or going out to the bar with friends. That routine is completely changed since then. Now, I come home to my parent’s house (where I currently live) and melt into the couch until my head starts pounding from staring at a backlit screen on my couch that is different from the backlit screen back at the office.

It sounds a bit depressing, but that’s the truth when working a desk job all day. With all this extra time on my hands, I have more of an opportunity to try new things and maybe pick up a new hobby. Then why is picking up a book to read so hard to do anymore? I used to love to read when I was a kid. Then, like most people, schoolwork and other responsibilities took priority. I am dusting off the unread books and polishing off my TBR (to be read) list.

The way I started back into reading was to set myself a goal of how many books I was going to read in 2023. I did this last year too. My 2022 goal was to read 12 books. I read two. Now, I realized that goal may have been a bit ambitious, but this year, my goal is to read 10 books. I know that is only two fewer books, but instead of reading one book a month, it gives me time to spread out that goal and avoid feeling so behind. I track my progress through Goodreads, an app that helps you track what you want to read and what you are currently reading and tracks your reading goal progress. You can even see what books your friends on the app are interested in reading and ones they have already read.

My interest in books has changed since the last time I read a book for pleasure. I was a teenager that was big into mysteries and coming-of-age storylines. I have learned that I really love romance novels that have the enemy-to-friendship plot, friendship storylines and the occasional self-help book (because who doesn’t want to better their lives a bit)? The way I found those types of books was just by reading everything. I tried memoirs, thrillers, non-fiction and tried mysteries once again. I landed on those books because they brought me mental stimulation, helped me escape, or were just books I could not put down. I found some of those books through social media. If you are on Instagram, there are a lot of great content creators that focus a lot on the newest book releases like Reese’s Book Club! Founded by Reese Witherspoon, it is a fantastic resource and gives you a variety of suggestions in various genres. Ever heard of BookTok? It’s real and very helpful.

I still struggle to pick up a book sometimes because of other distractions like TV, my phone and other screens around me. But it’s not about being perfect, it’s about prioritizing what you want to get out of your day. Want to get up and move? Take a yoga class or go on a walk. Feeling social? Get together with some friends. If you want to get away, that’s when a book is a perfect way to be the wind in your sail.