I Rekindled My Love For Reading In Quarantine, And You Can Too

Time in quarantine has shown me, once again, how good it is to read an actual book.

1866
Girl reading a book in her backyard

Growing up, I loved reading. I could spend hours with just a book in my hands and become fully immersed in the story and characters. But with so many binge-worthy shows and social media, my love for reading dwindled. During quarantine, I also discovered fanfiction, which can arguably be considered reading. However, it was not the average reading experience that I missed. I wasn't as captivated and intrigued as I used to be when I would read novels. College also took away the leisure time I used to be able to devote to reading.

But if quarantine has taught me anything, it is to never under-appreciate reading again.

I began to rekindle my love for reading by rereading one of my favorite books. While some people were obsessed with "Harry Potter" or "Twilight," I was obsessed with "Percy Jackson and the Olympians." I still remember being in third grade and picking up "The Lightning Thief" for the first time. I instantly fell in love and was hooked. This obsession led to me buying every new Percy Jackson book that came out and a Camp Half-Blood t-shirt. Later, I thought I was too old to continue to buy every new Percy Jackson book, and it just became a fond memory in the back of my mind.

Time spent in quarantine had me reflecting on and remembering how the book series made me feel, and since I had nothing better to do, I picked up "The Lightning Thief" and began to reread it.

I was instantly transported back to when I was a kid and felt as if I was discovering the book series again for the first time. The minute I finished the first book, I moved onto the next one and just kept going. Not only did this help the time pass, but it returned a memorable joy to my life. It is a kind of joy that is just pure, unadulterated fun. And as a true child of Athena (Percy Jackson reference), I finally started reading new books and having just as much fun.

Quarantine has surprisingly led to many good things for me. It taught me the importance of creating a bucket list, the joy that comes from reading an actual book, what type of learner I am, and to never take life for granted.

Quarantine is a learning experience; try to examine things that you might miss from when you were a kid or in high school and see if they can bring you as much joy as they did back then, like reading did for me.