Quarantine Has Taught Me To Not Take College Life For Granted Anymore

Finals are almost done, but it's not the same as being on campus.

12

While I've enjoyed spending time at home, and I've wrapped up just about all of my assignments and exams and am running out of movies to watch on Netflix and Hulu, I keep thinking about how different it would've been if we were all still on campus. I keep thinking about how I would be figuring out what I would need to pack first while listening to my records on my record player. I can see, touch, and smell everything that was in my dorm room. But my dorm isn't the only thing that I miss; it's the campus and the people, too. Here are the top three things from my college life that I am never taking for granted again:

1. How every walk on campus was like a nature walk.

Walking from my dorm to the shuttle - or if I missed the shuttle, then straight to class - was one of my favorite things I did because of my campus' large portion of greenery and wildlife. It's a very natural campus with so many trees and fresh air; it was so peaceful walking to class. I would even walk back to my dorm at the end of the day just to see the sunset.

2. The hustle and bustle of campus throughout the semester.

The busyness of the campus was also very comforting; I remember one time, right before midterms, I was so stressed I couldn't think straight. So, I went to Starbucks, sat outside with my friend, and we just talked and chilled. We could see and hear everyone chatting and walking, discussing classes, and putting together events in such a way that there wasn't a single hint of dread... only excitement.

3. The overall excitement of college life.

I am beyond thankful to be home with my mom and my cat as freshman year winds down, but this whole situation has put into perspective the little things I've taken for granted. How the things that were so mundane in those little moments mean so much to me, and probably a lot of us, now. So, I won't take busy days for granted. I won't take lunch or study dates with friends for granted. I won't even take days where I'm studying late in my dorm for granted because, honestly, while working from home is nice, I need the busyness to appreciate the less noticeable things.