How 'That's So Raven' Taught Me That Representation Matters

It's more than just seeing an "ethnic" character on a show.

562
TV Guide

The first time I watched a show with a black female in it was That's So Raven. And, man, was That's So Raven a show unlike any other of its time. At least, it was for me. It dealt with issues that many other Disney shows didn't dare talk about. Raven Baxter was a teenager who experienced racism, body shaming, troubles in school, and even family issues sometimes.

So that show did a lot more than make me laugh. It made me think, which is so important for younger kids. Not only did Raven deal with things that I thought only I dealt with, but she conquered many of her fears and struggles and became a more mature and better person.

This got me thinking about Raven and representation. The show was primarily cast with black actors and actresses, which was unheard of at the time and is still rare even today. Seeing a girl with the same dark skin as me on the screen was different than when I watched the other Disney shows. While Hannah Montana and The Suite Life of Zach and Cody were pretty much my life, they were never on par with That's So Raven for me. I think this has a lot to do with how I perceived Raven

I wanted to grow up and become Raven. She was funny and outgoing and smart and kind. All of those attributes were what I wanted. And now, many years later, I realize that it was difficult to find a black female character portrayed in such a positive light and still is. That's why I loved Raven. That's why representation matters.

Representation matters because of the idea that you can finally see someone in a position that you could or want to be in.

Seeing Raven Baxter on television was seeing a black female be a comedienne, an aspiring fashion designer, a student, and even an advocate for change. And the Baxter family was normal. They had a well-off life that wasn't perfect, but it was a good one nonetheless. They weren't the stereotypical black family.

Looking at their family each week gave me hope in my own life. I grew up too often hearing that I wasn't black or that I "acted white." Whatever that means.

But have Raven Baxter on while I did my homework or played on the computer reinforced to me that there are black girls who don't fit into that stereotypical mold that's been given to us by this society.

As a young girl, that was inspiring. I could see myself being a pretty high school student like Raven Baxter who had good grades, good friends, and a great family.

Representation of different races and ethnicities is something that helps the youth know that they can accomplish so much more than what they believe. Whether it's from a Superhero or a police officer or even a psychic, seeing a successful person share something in common with you is inspiring.

Representation is more than just an "ethnic" or "diverse" cast or character. It's a means for inspiration and recognition of the many different people in this big world. That alone is enough to encourage millions of kids who need that encouragement more than anything.