Ranking Ted Mosby's Girlfriends On 'How I Met Your Mother'

The most romantic endeavors you could think of, all done by one person

1797

Throughout the nine seasons of “How I Met Your Mother”, Ted Mosby goes through more romantic adventures than the average human. The guy just couldn’t catch a break. Whenever he got close to someone they ended up being crazy, leaving him at the altar, etc. This is a rating of Ted’s SERIOUS relationships. If I rated every single one, this would be a very long article because the amount of relationships he had is infinite.

6. Karen (Recurring throughout series)

While Karen wasn’t exactly a serious relationship, she’s recurring enough to get a spot on this list. Ted’s first true love between high school and college. The couple was on again, off again, and honestly Karen was beyond rude and annoying. Her and Ted were an awful match, but Ted’s refusal to let go of relationships was prominent here. She also was very jealous of any female Ted was friends with, and hypocritical, accusing Ted of cheating ever chance she got, even though she was the only one who cheated.

5. Victoria(Season 1,7,8 & 9)

When Ted first meet’s Victoria, the mystery woman at Stuart and Claudia's wedding, we were all intrigued by her. She was smart, funny, witty, and drew in Ted immediately. The two began and ended in season 1, but we see her again in season 7, at the Architect’s ball. A spark ignites between the two again, beginning an on again off again relationship for seasons to come. We all thought seeing her show up to Maclarens in a wedding gown was it but no, it’s never that easy. He helps her run away from one wedding, but one between them never occurs. Although the two try very hard to make it work, Victoria knows that she will never be the one for Ted, and breaks it off at the end of season 8, leading to Ted recovering in season 9.

4. Stella Zinman(Season 3-4)

(*cue simultaneous sigh from all HIMYM fans) Stella was really seemingly the one for Ted. Ted begs the doctor removing his butterfly tattoo to go on a date with him, but she says all she could give him would be two minutes because of her very busy schedule. Ted decides to take this literally, and takes her on an adorable 2 minute date, beginning their whirlwind of a relationship. Between car accidents and miscommunications, things were never simple for the two. But it all seems to come together when Ted proposes, and she accepts. The season is spent preparing for the wedding, but when the day is finally there, Stella runs off with her ex-boyfriend, moments before the wedding, only leaving Ted a note explaining what happened, leaving us as well as Ted in a haze of emotions and confusion.

3. Zoey Pierson(Season 3)

(Personally my favorite besides number 1)Starting out as enemies, this relationship was one of the most unexpected of the whole series. The two meet when Zoey protests the demolition of The Arcadian, an old building where a design Ted made was supposed to begin. The two always fight each other on their differing views of some things, but eventually ann attraction starts growing and Ted’s feelings for Zoey become undeniable. SO Ted ends they friendship because he doesn’t want to complicate things between Zoey and her husband, and Ted’s friend, the captain. However, Zoey doesn’t take it and after going through all of Ted’s friends, the two admit their feelings for each other and we learn of Zoey’s divorce to the captain, starting their relationship. The two have a straining relationship, but honestly, their chemistry was so strong it didn’t matter. Eventually though, their differing opinions on Zoey’s activist journeys tears them apart, and they break up.

2. Robin Scherbatsky(Season 1-9)

Ah, Robin. The most famous on again off again relationship of the show. When Ted meets Robin in the pilot episode, sparks fly, and the most frustrating relationship of HIMYM began. Ted and Robin seemed to belong together to be honest. They went from best friends to dating more times than I can count. Their relationship comes to a sure end when Robin and Barney get engaged, and we thought we were done, but low and behold, they end up together in the series finale after Tracy dies. Their relationship was so messy, which is why many fans(including myself) were mad when Tracy died and Barney and Robin got divorced, but even Robin said on her wedding day that she had a feeling he was suppose to be with Ted. I have many mixed feelings about this relationship, but it takes this high rank just because how essential it is to the show.

1. Tracy McConnell(Season 9)

THE MOTHER! THE ONE WE SPEND THE WHOLE SERIES CHASING! Also the best relationship of Ted Mosby. Tracy and Ted officially after Barney and Robin’s wedding (the perfect yellow umbrella scene), after she’s met and basically saved all of his best friends. Tracy has the yellow umbrella Ted lost years ago, and Ted finally see’s that this is the woman he’s been searching for forever. Tracy was perfect for Ted, quirky, smart, funny, and had the biggest heart. We all fell in love with her immediately, as did Ted, they get married, and she is the mother of Ted’s children. We finally think Ted got his happy ending but NOPE. They kill her off about five minutes after we see her and Ted together, saying she got sick, although we never learn what illness it was. All of us were so frustrated at this point that seeing Robin and Ted end up together was just such a frustrating ending. #TeamTracy