A Random Stranger Asked Me Out On A Date

How an encounter with a stranger led to a date at the Santa Monica Pier.
1721

Since living out here in Los Angeles, I have seen some pretty weird stuff. I've seen a guy getting a tattoo in an alley, a guy stealing dog treats from Whole Foods and a guy hitting the divider with his car. Basically, a lot of guys doing weird stuff; yet, those experiences have not been as weird and abrupt as a guy asking me out on a date.

For some who do not know me, I look like a young woman with a judgmental look 24/7. Knowing that, I would assume that no guy would come up to me or even say hi to me. If any of them did and live to tell it, congratulate them.

Anyway, I was walking to the parking structure after I finished my summer internship last year. I was in a hurry because I wanted to beat rush hour and hide in my room with its utter darkness. I had everything set for my sassy walk: earphones, alternative rock, a denim jacket, black boots.

As I turn around the corner, I was within walking distance from the parking structure when this guy comes up to me in a rush. At first sight, he looked like any modern man who could almost turn into a serial killer in the future — khakis and a polo shirt. I stopped with my "dear in headlights" eyes.

He gestures me to take my headphones off, to which I obey for some reason. He then tells me that he saw me across the street and thought that I was the prettiest girl he has ever seen. I thought he was lying because I had no makeup on, didn't shower in two days and had a messy ponytail. After explaining his whole story of wanting to take a chance in life (too long for this article by the way) he asked me out on a date.

Suddenly, my inner self went into panic mode. My thoughts pulled out the bells and whistles by stating that he is a distraction who helps his partners in crime to rob people.

I guess with me being reluctant to his comments, the guy coaxed me into staying with him and a have a small conversation together at a nearby coffee place. After the talk, the alarms subsided and I realized that he is not that bad of a guy. Instead, he was a mailman from Arizona who has been trying to get a job as a history teacher. Eventually, I said yes to the date.

Later that night, I went to the Santa Monica Pier with this mystery guy. To be honest, the date was not that bad; in fact, it was fun. He took me to Pacific Park to ride the roller coaster, the Sea Dragon and the Ferris Wheel. When we got a little hungry, he took me to Johnny Rockets where we drank milkshakes. After the waiters did their dance routine for the hour, we walked back to the pier and the beach.

The oddest part about this mysterious guy was that he appeared right after I came to the conclusion that I'd probably be single this entire year. Since 2016 was already bad for me with the death of my friend and countless turn downs from guys that gave off mixed messages, I thought that day would just be another "okay" day. But when this guy asked me out, I thought this was a sign from the Queen of Bounce (Google her if you don't know.) I drove back home with a smile on my face, walked to my house with a skip to my walk, and entered my apartment with hope that there is someone out there for me.

Then reality hits and I tell myself, "Nah, I'm going to die alone with cats."