Random Acts Of Kindness To Brighten Your World

"No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted." Aesop

32
Elaine Taylor

Lately, it seems that our world is spinning out of control. Every time you turn on the TV, open up Twitter or tune into the radio all you hear is tragedy, injustice and pain. There is no doubt that our world is broken in many vital ways. But, sometimes, it’s easy to be drowned in the sadness of the news and forget the sunshine that some people bring to this world. Sometimes, the clouds of tragedy seem so thick that it feels like no ray of light could break them. Many times the only way to restore our hope in humanity is to do it ourselves. So if you’ve been feeling especially down lately, try completing these random acts of kindness to spread your light and make your patch of grass a little greener.

Pay it forward (or behind).

Whether you’re at Wendy’s at 2 a.m. because your squad got a sudden chicken nugget craving or at Starbucks for your 2 p.m. pick me up, there’s always an option to spread a little happiness to those around you. When you roll up to the drive-thru window, ask the cashier if you can pay for the order behind yours, too. You may never see the smiles on those people’s faces, but just knowing that you’ve made someone’s day a little brighter is an amazing feeling.

Top chef.

What dish are you (or your mom, dad, sister, grandma, best friend, etc.) known for? Figure it out and then bake or cook away! Make sure to make enough for the whole neighborhood, and then some! Invite your neighbors over for an afternoon of lemonade and your grandma’s famous chocolate chip cookies. Make your dad’s famous lasagna and bring it your local fire station, police station, or ambulance corp to show your support and love for those that keep you safe. Or, simply surprise your whole family with a home cooked meal!

You’ve got mail.

Dig up your old phonebook (or look one up online) and send some positive snail mail to some strangers. Also a great way to get to know your neighbors if you don’t already. Send a nice note with positive vibes or a compliment and let them know that you’d love to get to know them better. You never know what could happen!

Public poetry.

If words are where your power lies, then use them to spread some good! Go to your local coffee shop and write a few happy poems on some napkins. Leave them on a few tables to spark a light in the next person to sit down there.

Book review.

Go to your local Goodwill, thrift store or used book shop and go searching for your favorite books. Leave a Post-It or inscription in the book explaining to it’s next owner why it’s your favorite. Make sure to leave some suggestions of other books they might like after they finish reading your favorite!

Book drop.

A similar idea to the last one. Leave a good book on a seat on public transportation for the next passenger to find. Whether it’s a beloved favorite, one that you’ve never gotten to read, or simply a cover with something interesting. If you want, leave an inscription in the book to its next loving home.

The wish list.

Got a few extra bucks you’ve been meaning to spend? Go onto Amazon and find a public wish list. Pick something off of it and send a stranger a gift that they’ve been eyeing! Even better look up to see if some of your favorite organizations have an Amazon wish list of things they always need. Many animal shelters, hospitals, and rehabilitation centers have Amazon wish lists that you can find.

Thirst quencher.

On the hotter days this summer, make sure to be stocked with ice cold water bottles. Hand them out to your mail carriers, landscapers, or dog walkers who look a bit parched on those sweltering afternoons.

After you.

Next time you’re in line at the grocery store, coffee shop or post office let the person behind you go in front of you -- especially if it’s a family with lots of restless children, an elderly person or someone who looks like they’re in a rush.

Parking meter angel.

Next time you park somewhere with a proliferation of metered parking, think about being someone’s parking meter angel. Look around and see if anyone’s meter is expired or about to expire and put some spare change in their meter. You could also fill the meter right before you pull out to help out the next person who parks in your spot.

Green thumb.

Take a walk around your neighborhood and see if any of your neighbors are out tending their gardens. Offer to help weed, water, or plant their garden with them. This can be particularly beneficial for elder neighbors who might have a harder time keeping up their garden than they used to.

Snack cravings.

Next time your get your self a snack or a drink at a vending machine, leave behind a few dollars for the next person. You never know who might really need a drink, but simply doesn’t have a dollar bill. You can also leave quarters at candy machines to brighten the day of a kid just craving a sugar rush.

Thankful.

Go out of your way to thank the people that make our world go round. Thank your mail carrier, police officers, baristas, waiters and waitresses, store clerks, and most importantly, your loved one. Many of these people simply don’t get enough credit for the invaluable work that they do. Where would we be without them?

Care packages.

Make care packages for your local homeless population. Include necessary items like toiletries, a reusable water bottle, fresh socks, some cash, etc. Consider also including a good book, a stack of cards, an interesting magazine, or something else to keep them entertained. Be sure to strike up a conversation with the people you leave your care packages with. Sometimes, a smile and a kind word can go so much farther than material items.

Helpful hand.

Next time you see someone stopped on the side of the road consider stopping to see if they are all right. Be sure to ask them if they anything, and simply be as helpful as you can. As always, use your discretion and careful judgment with this activity.