Practicing Ramadan In College

Ramadan Will Always Be Special, But It's Going To Be Very Different Now That I'm At College

I just hope that this Ramadan is kind to me.

343
Family
Aaliya Sayed

Ramadan is a time of year that many Muslims eagerly await. Our faith grows stronger as well as our sense of unity. At home, it was about getting through bright sunny summer days to an amazing meal with family and friends at sundown. I'm nervous about what this Ramadan will bring because I am not near my family and friends. I'm going to spend these warm summer days inside a library studying and then breakfast with dining hall food.

Another reason why it seems like it's going to be harder is that I don't have many Muslim friends on campus so I won't really be going through the hardships of not eating and drinking all day with support and company. Religiously speaking, I think this will make my bond with God grow stronger because I will have to trust that all will be well in the end and that my hardships aren't going to be for nothing.

I am trying to be more optimistic about Ramadan but am really nervous because I have to study all day for finals, which require a significantly greater amount of study time. I'm trying to not procrastinate and get as much work as I can before Ramadan starts but it is proving to be harder than it seems.

A positive is that the Muslim Student Association on campus is having "iftaar" every night for at least the first week of Ramadan. Iftaar is the meal we eat for breakfast when the sun goes down. So I feel like I will feel a little sense of community through this event.

I just hope that this Ramadan is kind to me. It's a month of blessings and love and I hope that is truly what I receive.