Racism Isn't The Problem

Racism Isn't The Problem

Respect one another, it's that simple.

427
Racism Isn't The Problem
The Risky Shift

As much as people would like to blame racism for our current problems in the United States, I dare to differ.

The actual definition of racism is this: the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

As a white middle class female I don't view myself as inferior or superior to any other race or races. In fact all of my white middle class female friends don't view themselves as inferior or superior to any other race or races.

Being white doesn't make me racist. Growing up in the south doesn't make me racist. Opposing or supporting Black Lives Matter doesn't make me racist. Racism isn't the problem.

We as a country have grown so adept at blaming our government, blaming each other, blaming God that we fail to see the real problem: us. We are the problem. We can't blame the government officials, we elect them. We've kicked God out of practically everything so we can't blame Him for abandoning us, we abandoned Him. We can't keep calling each other racist because racism isn't the problem. Disrespect for authority, recklessness, violence, and pride, however, are at an all time high.

Since racism isn't the problem here's another "r" word to consider: respect. I fully believe that what our great country is experiencing is not a racial issue, but a respect issue.

Disrespect for cops is causing riots. Disrespect for ourselves is causing reckless behavior and violence. Pride and egotism are soaring because we have no respect for God.

We're all familiar with Black Lives Matter, All Lives Matter, and Blue Lives Matter, but how about Native American Lives Matter, High Risk Teens Lives Matter, Immigrant Lives Matter. Our problem is much deeper than black versus white.

Just like anger is a mask for sadness, racism is a mask for disrespect. We aren't racist, we're disrespectful. We can't fix the problem until we recognize what the problem is.

1 Peter 2:17 states, "Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor."It's not hard. It won't physically harm you. It won't cost you anything, but maybe a little humility.

Respect one another, it's that simple.