10 Quotes For The Discouraged College Student

When staying afloat becomes too much of a project, use these bits of wisdom as a life raft.

241

Staying on top of everything in college can be a complete nightmare. We all get overwhelmed and stressed out, but that's when it's time to remember there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

10. "Making a thousand decisions, even the wise will make a mistake."

Fear is okay, but do not let it rule your life! It will keep you from doing some stupid things, but it might also hold you back from the leap of faith that would get you all what you've been waiting for. So, make those decisions and make your mistakes - let your life begin.

9. "If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign of?"

Now, albeit tempting, this is NOT an invitation to roast your roommate, should they have an empty desk. Maybe their workspace isn't their desk and that spot is cluttered, but that's an analysis for another article. Also, don't use this as an excuse to have a sloppy, embarrassing room. Keep it clean, but don't feel bad that your work can't always be 100% contained.

8. "If your neighbor is happy, your own work will go easier too."

Both literally and figuratively. Don't abuse your suite mates, but also remember that neighborhoods transcend physical proximity.

7. "Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid."

FIND. YOUR. TRUTH. Don't let anyone tell you that you aren't smart because you can't tell them that the derivative of 4x^2 + 3x + 47 is 8x + 3 because yes, that is important somewhere, but if you're majoring in piano performance and math makes you a little bit queasy - that's okay.

6. "Do not permit what you cannot do to interfere with what you can do."

This pill is not an easy one to swallow. Always think ahead, but do not let things that are outside of control affect the quality of work you put into the things that are within your realm.

5. "Most of our faults are more pardonable than the means we use to conceal them."

Tell the truth! Own up to it! People will get over a mistake or a missed deadline but a lie, no matter how small, with have a much larger effect on them! DON'T DO IT.

4. "Be more concerned with what you really are than what you are perceived to be."

Popularity is enticing and making new friends in a place so vastly different home is close to the farthest thing from comforting, but do not let other peoples' opinions get you down. No matter where you go, not everyone is going to like you, and "Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured."

3. "Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting a bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian."

Speaking of hard to swallow pills... Ouch. This one will never come easy, but the more you bear it in mind, less shattering injustice will begin to feel.

2. "Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."

=

Be kind. Build your circle. Do good.

1. "Wherever you go, go with all your heart."