Quotes from "Dead Poets Society" That Changed My Life

"Oh captain, my captain."

3126
NY Daily News

The movie "Dead Poets Society" has been my favorite film since the day I saw it my freshman year of high school. It continues to inspire me every time I watch it, and although I have seen it over a dozen times, I always learn something new every time I see it. The movie is filled with quotes that have taught me so many lessons, and the following are a few of my favorite quotes that have helped me lead a better life.

1. What are you living for?

"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for."

The quote above was one of the reasons that I have always continued being an artist. It is extremely important to me to continue to create art and write poetry, even if I do not pursue a career in doing so. I believe that it is important to do the things you love in order to enjoy the life you live.

2. Finding your voice

"Boys, you must strive to find your own voice. Because the longer you wait to begin, the less likely you are to find it at all. Thoreau said, "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation." Don't be resigned to that. Break out!"

Finding your own voice is extremely important in a world that has so many individuals who are trying to be heard. I spend so much of my life being quiet, not thinking that my thoughts were worth anything. The second I began to speak my mind and find myself was the moment in which I finally became happy.

3. Don't hold back your thoughts

"No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world."It is so important to speak your mind and share your thoughts and ideas. Despite what some people may think, one person can change the world drastically, and it is important to let your words be heard. You never know the things you can achieve when you share things with others, because everyone's thoughts are valid.

4. Not everything should be approached in the same way

"I stand upon my desk to remind myself that we must constantly look at things in a different way."

The scene of the movie in which Mr. Keating allows each student to stand upon his desk will always be one of my favorite scenes in "Dead Poets Society." This quote made me think about the situations I deal with every day of my life, and how sometimes I cannot approach everything in the same way. This scene challenged me to see both sides of situations, to accept that others are different than me, and to look at everything in life in a new light.

5. Seize the day

"Carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary."

This quote is probably the most popular quote from the film, and hearing this for the first time motivated me to do something great every day of my life. It is so important to do great things, to help people, and to be a better person. All in all, this movie has helped inspire me and so many others to seize the day.

From Your Site Articles