Guarding your thoughts and your mind

Poetry on Odyssey: Power of Voices

How are you guarding your mind?

1135
Poetry on Odyssey: Power of Voices

A space so vital

and vulnerable

yet it receives

the least amount

of care and thought

We are all born with it yet

little is taught

how to control

how to monitor

how to filter

the traffic in which

effects this space

Everything we do

everything we seek

everything we choose

alters the state

and determines the path

of which our mindset camps

We may not physically see

the atmosphere changes

but we certainly reap

the harvest of

what's been planted

Wandering thoughts creep up

in times when we're alone

Voices shout

when all else

is silenced

Spirits arise

in the midst

of searching and seeking

What are they telling you?

What have you been feeding

when all is well?

Who are you tuning into

in your daily walk?

What prepares a person the most

is knowing

who identifies them

What builds a person the most

is what you're feeding

your values and beliefs

What keeps a person stable

when attacks come

is only seeking

the One who created them

We are surrounded

by many voices

by many noises

by many choices

But what are

we keeping

as our core?

What we seek

What we tune into

What we hear

determines this very answer

Don't forget to protect

the most vulnerable space in which

ultimately determines how we react

in moments

of vulnerability

Sunset Girl

The sun rose and peeked through the sheer curtains. Rose’s alarm shrieked. The loud bells caused her phone to jump on the side table. It was time for her to get ready for church. Blindly reaching for her phone, she shut the alarm off and pulled at the covers providing her a cocoon of warmth and tossed them to the side. She swept her bare feet across the bed to touch the cool wooden floor.

Rose softly tiptoed to the corner of the bedroom to grab her clothes dangling on the arm of the bedroom chair. Scooping all of the items of her chosen outfit, she headed to the bathroom hoping that she wouldn’t drop anything.

Round, piercing blue eyes stared back at her in the bathroom mirror. Rose fingered the wrinkles forming around her eyes. So many of them bore signs of laughter and smiling. Slowly dropping her hands, she couldn’t remember the last time she laughed in her home with Tom. Shaking her head as if to erase the negative thoughts, she reached for her makeup bag and went through her regular routine.

Applying her favorite deep rose lipstick, Rose headed downstairs to make her coffee and bagel to take with her to church. The smell of dark-roast coffee swirled in the air as Rose sliced her cinnamon raisin bagel. Hearing the Keurig sputter with the fresh brew, Rose found the interruption of the stillness comforting. The toaster signaled that her bagel was done with a soft pop. It had a delicious golden brown color. Placing the bagel on the counter, she generously spread honey nut flavored cream cheese across both halves. Gathering her bible, notebook, and pens from the side table on the porch she stuffed them into her purse. Purse hanging on her right shoulder she juggled her coffee and bagel in both of her hands as she headed to the garage.