6 Quotes From Celebrities Who Opened Up About Mental Health

No one is perfect.

165

Mental health is extremely important. Period. It's not something you should ignore, and if you find yourself struggling you should get help. No one is perfect, and everyone struggles sometimes.

In Los Angeles, it's estimated that 27.5% of residents have feelings of depression — that is extremely high. However, it can be difficult to get help. There can be financial and mental barriers to doing so. Many feel difficulty even admitting that there's a problem, or feeling like a little sadness here and there isn't really an issue. I'll tell you this: no one is too good to get help, and you don't have to be in a dire situation to get it. Similar to other physical ailments, check ups for mental health are a great thing. Find out ways to get help here.

Still, our modern world is filled with a million forms of media that show celebrities across the globe who appear to be infallible. This can also make us feel inferior. The truth is, though, that no one is perfect, not even the world's most famous people. Read on for six quotes from celebrities who opened up about their own mental health.

1. Jared Padalecki

"I, for a long time, have been passionate about people dealing with mental illness and struggling with depression, or addiction, or having suicidal thoughts and, strangely enough, it's almost like the life I live, as well. I was 25 years old. I had my own TV show. I had dogs that I loved and tons of friends and I was getting adoration from fans and I was happy with my work, but I couldn't figure out what it was; it doesn't always make sense is my point. It's not just people who can't find a job, or can't fit in in society that struggle with depression sometimes." (Source)

2. Chrissy Teigen

"I'm speaking up now because I want people to know it can happen to anybody and I don't want people who have it to feel embarrassed or to feel alone. I also don't want to pretend like I know everything about postpartum depression, because it can be different for everybody. But one thing I do know is that—for me—just merely being open about it helps." (Source)

3. Dwayne Johnson

"I found that, with depression, one of the most important things you could realize is that you're not alone...You're not the first to go through it; you're not going to be the last to go through it. And oftentimes—it happens—you just feel like you're alone. You feel like it's only you. You're in your bubble. And I wish I had someone at that time who could just pull me aside and [say], 'Hey, it's gonna be OK. It'll be OK.' So, I wish I knew that." (Source)

4. Demi Lovato

"I think it's important that people no longer look at mental illness as something taboo to talk about...It's something that's extremely common, one in five adults has a mental illness, so basically everyone is essentially connected to this problem and this epidemic. The problem with mental illness is people don't look at it as a physical illness. When you think about it, the brain is actually the most complex organ in your body. We need to treat it like a physical illness and take it seriously." (Source)

5. Beyonce

"It was beginning to get fuzzy — I couldn't even tell which day or which city I was at. I would sit there at ceremonies and they would give me an award and I was just thinking about the next performance. My mother was very persistent and she kept saying that I had to take care of my mental health...So I went to see museums, ballets, the Great Wall of China and everywhere I had been to but never got to see." (Source)

6. Dakota Johnson

"Sometimes I panic to the point where I don't know what I'm thinking or doing. I have a full anxiety attack. I have them all the time anyway, but with auditioning it's bad." (Source)