7 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Choosing A School

What you don't realize you should be asking yourself in your college search.

31

The college selection process is one that is stressful for almost all soon to be high school graduates. We take in the obvious factors such as costs, distance from home, public or private, etc. But after experiencing a year of college, there are a lot of things I wish I had thought harder about before making my decision.

1. How far do you have to walk to get to class?

Touring schools can be pretty intimidating. At first, each new campus seems to feel pretty large because its so new to you. I learned the more time you spend on a campus, the smaller it can feel because it becomes so familiar. When touring the campuses, try to picture yourself walking from the dorm, to the library, to one classroom building, to the next. If you can't see yourself making the trip to your classes each day, then you may want to consider a school with a smaller campus.

2. What are the food options?

Not just what will they serve at the dining hall each day, but where and when food will be available to you. As you look more into the schools that interest you the most, a good idea would be to check out where else on campus you can get food besides the dining hall. Some dining halls close fairly early for dinner, leaving only microwaveable noodles or takeout as your late night meals. But, if your school offers different locations to get food on campus that are open later hours, you won't have to worry about getting to the dining hall before it closes.

3. What clubs will you join?

Most people put this off until they get to school, which is okay, but thinking about it before can help you find something you really enjoy. Make sure the school you want to go to offers clubs that you actually want to take part in. You will end up having more free time than you think, and clubs and extra-curricular activities are a good way to fill this time.

4. Can freshman have cars on campus?

This may sound so appealing, to be able to drive yourself to school and have the option of visiting home whenever you'd like, but its not always a good thing to have your car on campus. There's a good chance that you'll be one of your only friends that decided to bring your car. Your car will end up being the main source of transportation for all your friends. Gas becomes another expense to add to your already dwindling bank account. And then there's always the chance that you'll mix up what parking lots you're allowed to park in at which times and end up with a parking ticket.

5. Are there any off-campus locations to visit?

While there are often events taking place on campus almost everyday, sometimes its nice to just get away. Look into what fun places there are to explore in the areas surrounding each campus when you go to visit. There is going to be a weekend to do when you need to find a place that's both local and cheap to explore to entertain yourselves.

6. Will there be fun organized events?

Some schools bring in singers to preform at events, others arrange trips to local amusement parks and sporting events; what are you interested in for entertainment? Movie nights, screenings of TV shows, dances, bingo nights, etc. All these can be found at different schools and you should look into what cool (and free) stuff your school has to offer.

7. How good are the sports teams?

If you're a big sports fan, but the school doesn't have many games to watch, this eliminates a fun activity to do after classes with your friends. If you're not into sports, but the school encourages student involvement with athletics, you may feel misplaced. If you are an athlete yourself but don't want to play at the college level, check out what intramural sports your school offers. With the extra free time you'll have at school, it's good to stay active.

Choosing the right school isn't really too hard of a decision, but if you keep these questions in the back of your mind, you'll be sure to make the right choice.