From Questioning My Major to a Career I Love

I applied for college as a nursing major, but after getting my nursing assistant license at the end of my senior year of high school, I realized that wasn't what I really wanted to do. I didn't have a passion for that line of work. After researching different majors for weeks I finally decided on psychology. Mental health counseling was my ultimate goal but as senior year rolled around I was starting to realize I didn't want to work in counseling. Clearly, I panicked a little bit. I was less than a year away from graduating and wasn't sure if I even wanted to work in that field anymore.

I started doing research again. Weeks went on and I couldn't find anything else that sparked my interests. I took tons of career inventory tests online alongside college major surveys. I'd get an answer and research the major just to realize I didn't really want to go into that line of work. It was starting to stress me out to no end it seemed. I spent weeks and felt like I had nothing figured out. Then I ran into an old friend and she told me about her job in autism therapy and how much she loved it so I put in an application. It wouldn't hurt to try right?

www.roi-mi.com

Almost 6 months later, I've fallen in love with applied behavior analysis. Working in autism therapy has been the most rewarding and by far the best line of work I've ever been in. Each day is different and it keeps me on my toes, but seeing a child's face light up when they write that first letter independently or tie their shoes by themselves for the first time is something I wouldn't trade for the world. I love that I get to go in and help kids learn to live their best life possible.

When I say each day is different, I mean it. It's very rare that I go in and feel that monotonous drag of a typical 9-5. Having the ability to continuously learn about my field is also great. There were several subjects within psychology that I struggled with, but now totally understand from seeing the work done day in and day out. I have a job that allows me to constantly better myself and makes me want to be my best self for the kids I'm setting examples for.

Finding ABA and Hopebridge were the greatest things to happen to me this year. Not only did I figure out my college situation, but I found a job I truly love, too. My passion for my work has pushed me to get my master's degree in ABA. I was burnt out, but my light was reignited. So to the senior freaking out because you don't know what to do, don't worry. Everything will fall into place somehow.