6 Things I Learned While Quarantined With My Parents

It's not the same as high school.

4

Don't get me wrong, I love being at home with my family. They cook fancy meals for me that I'd never cook for myself and they provide a great source of entertainment for when I'm feeling bored. However, after living on my own for a long period of time, I've realized why I have enjoyed my sense of independence.

1. I definitely don't clean to their standards.

When I lived on my own, I chose my own schedule. I chose when I cooked, when I cleaned and how well I did those things. My parents weren't too happy when they discovered that I constantly burn my food and constantly forget to make my bed every morning.

2. Dates are a no-no.

I now remember why I never dated many boys in high school. I don't get that alone time needed while preparing for the date, or the ability to invite them in afterwards.

3. I spend too much time alone.

I'm constantly reminded that I should be participating in family events such as board game nights and movie nights. This has made me realize how peaceful a night alone in my bedroom actually is.

4. I drink too much.

In college, it's perfectly normal to spend the whole day in the pool, beer in hand. My parents don't mind if I consume alcohol after dinner, but before that, it's irresponsible and a problem.

5. I should be at work.

Considering my parents are working from home, I understand their concerns with me lounging around all day. Every moment I've spent watching Netflix, they have reminded me that I could be doing something more productive.

6. I'm not a child anymore.

The longer I stay here, the more I realize that there is a reason people move out after they turn 18. Not to say I don't love spending time with my parents, but I have come to the realization that I'm at an age now where I have my own sense of freedom. I'm grateful for everything they have done for me, but I also relish the ability to do what I want when I want to.

After being in college for three years, it was a nice break to spend some time in the home I grew up in. However, I cannot wait for another break, where I can consume as much junk food as I please and watch movies to my hearts content. Love you, Mom and Dad!