When Life Gives You An Ugly Omelette, Make Scrambled Eggs

A wholesome analogy to guide your quarantine positivity.

112
Instagram: @alisonzai

Lily here. Reporting live from quarantine, one month in.

This morning, I tried to make an omelette... emphasis on "tried". Let's just say that my talents do not lie in the cuisine department, especially not things that involve any sort of flipping. I'm a hesitant flipper.

I won't bore you with a description of my complete inadequacy in the kitchen, though it was pretty funny cleaning up the splooged omelette remains from the burner. What I will say is this: when life gives you an ugly omelette, make scrambled eggs instead.

During this very uncertain and completely unprecedented time, we have the unique opportunity to shape our own perspective. Although spending the days at home was not what I- or anyone- had planned, we can still adapt. We can lean into the chaos and come out stronger, healthier, and happier.

The best you can do right now is enough.

While working and schooling from home certainly hasn't been any less work, it's the perfect opportunity to give yourself some leeway. To wear pajama pants with your button down shirt, since no one on Zoom will see that half of you anyway. To let your skin breathe, free of makeup. To eat that ice cream (as God knows I have been doing). It is so important to be kind to yourself!

Be kind to others, too.

It's tempting to forget how much of a blessing it is to have a home, to be in good health, and to have family. Give your people an extra hug. Shoot a text to someone you miss. FaceTime someone just to make them laugh. Relish the time you have with your quarantine buddies, taking advantage of the gift of presence with those you love (even when that looks like quietly binge-watching everything that's been in your Netflix List since 2013). Sprinkling a little gratitude into your daily routine will put just that much more good energy into a world that really needs it right now.

And, when all else fails, have a wild dance party in the kitchen.

I can proudly boast that this has been a favorite activity of mine since long before quarantine. Turn on some jams and just let it all go. But make sure you close the shades... wouldn't want your neighbors thinking you were crazy like mine already do ;)

It's okay that your life looks a little different, and perhaps messier, than you intended. But hey, scrambled eggs can be just as good.