11 Parents Share What Qualities Their Son's or Daughter's Significant Other Must Have

11 Parents Reveal The #1 Quality Their Child's S.O. Must Have Before Getting Their Approval

Don't be a douche and you're already 10 steps ahead of the competition!

82

Dating can be tough. Finding a high-quality significant other is even tougher. I'm a strong believer that dating and finding "the one" involves a lot of trial and error because what or who you wanted at the age of 18 might not be what or who you want at the age of 22. Luckily, these parents let us in on the qualities that matter––the ones that will help you build a future.

Here are the most important qualities parents want in their son or daughter's boyfriend or girlfriend:

1. Mother, 22-year-old daughter

"They have to treat my child with kindness and respect. I need to know that my child and their heart are in good hands."

2. Father, 19 & 24-year-old daughters

"He needs to be hardworking because a job is the most important thing to have in order to support my daughters."

3. Mother, 20-year-old son & 22-year-old daughter

"They have to be trustworthy. A relationship without trust is bound to fail. If a person is trustworthy, they will be respected. With respect, there will be kindness. If a person is kind, they will have compassion. With compassion, there will be love."

4. Mother, 20-year-old daughter

"He needs to have morals, respect, and love for my daughter just like her dad loves me."

5. Father, 22-year-old daughter

"He must have morals because then I'll know my daughter is in good hands."

6. Mother, 20-year-old

"He must provide. He should be employed and making a good salary. I know that's old-fashioned but I think it's as important as ever."

7. Mother, 14 & 18-year-old

"Respect is the most important quality to have."

8. Mother, 19 & 24-year-old daughters

"They must treat my daughters like queens because they deserve it."

9. Father, 22-year-old daughter

"He needs to have respect for women, and especially for my daughter, because I need to know she's well taken care of."

10. Mother, 20-year-old son

"They need to make them laugh more than they make them cry because there needs to be more good times than bad when they are together."

11. Mother, 21-year-old daughter

"Self-respect is the most important quality because when you have self-respect, it allows you to respect others. Respecting each other is very important in a relationship."