Putting an End to the New Jersey Stereotypes

151

Apparently, being from New Jersey is quite controversial. I credit those stereotypes as coming from shows like Jersey Shore, Jerseylicious and The Real Housewives of New Jersey. The thing is, not everyone from New Jersey is like the people those reality shows portray. In fact, many people from New Jersey are nothing like what those shows depict.

I love being from New Jersey. There is something about this place that makes me proud to say that I am from here. Sometimes, when I tell people I'm from New Jersey, they give me a funny look. So, now it is time to put an end to all the stereotypes that are looming around the state of New Jersey. It is actually a pretty enjoyable place if you spend time here instead of criticizing it.

The following are a list of common myths about New Jersey that I am here to debunk.

1. New Jersey is just full of beaches. Yes, there are plenty of shore points in New Jersey, but the state is not full of sand and shells. New Jersey's nickname is “The Garden State." There are plenty of farms around the state. We also have some decent produce that can be found in local markets.

2. We have three favorite letters: GTL. We don't wake up every day and think, “I got to go to the gym. I got to go to the tanning salon. I got to do a load of laundry." We do those things, but our world does not revolve around them.

3. It's dirty and smelly. New Jersey is beautiful. Behind the parking lots, industrial buildings, and dumpsters, I promise -- this place is pretty. Take a stroll down the beach in Long Branch or go shopping at Pier Village. You will forget that you only had to travel an hour down the Parkway because it's that pretty. If you are in the mood to gamble, Atlantic City has some exciting casinos, and the PNC Bank Arts Center has some awesome concerts all year long.

4. We are loud and obnoxious. Okay, yes. We are loud and obnoxious. Look at our governor. Sorry, Chris Christie! We aren't as obnoxious as some reality shows have shown the world. We don't flip tables like Teresa Giudice. We don't get into fights like Sammi and JWoww. We don't cause a scene on the beach like Snooki once did on Jersey Shore. We just have some Jersey spirit that we are proud to show.

5. Everyone from New Jersey is Italian. Surprisingly, not everyone from New Jersey is Italian. New Jersey is actually pretty diverse.

6. We only eat bagels and pizza. Bagels and pizza are what we are known for. Other than New York, no place really compares. But we don't live off of bagels and pizza, we just really enjoy them. New Jersey does have amazing breakfast sandwiches thanks to one key ingredient. North Jersey refers to it as Taylor Ham while South Jersey knows it as pork roll. Either way, it is delicious, and I advise you to try it sometime.

7. Our driving skills suck. Our driving does suck, but we have to deal with constant traffic. People from New Jersey identify themselves by either using the Turnpike or the Parkway. The Garden State Parkway is basically a battlefield. Drivers are always speeding until a speed trap comes up and a state trooper pulls you over. Game over.

8. You don't know how to pump your own gas? No. I don't know how to pump gas. It's actually illegal in New Jersey for us to pump our own gas. Besides, when it's cold out, no one wants to have to get out of the car to pump gas.

9. New Joisey. No. Just a big fat N-O. Anyone from New Jersey will correct you if you say “Joisey." People from New Jersey may have accents and say certain words funny, but I promise you, it is never “New Joisey." I'll admit it, I say “caw-fee," “hot dawg," and even “war-der" instead of water.

10. If you try to argue with us about New Jersey being a terrible place, we will argue right back. Yes, this is actually 100 percent true. New Jersey natives love New Jersey. We will argue with you until we are blue in the face saying that this place is awesome. There have even been some pretty famous people from New Jersey. Some celebrities include Frank Sinatra, the Jonas Brothers, Bruce Springsteen, Derek Jeter and even Meryl Streep. I love my home state of New Jersey. Once a New Jerseyan, always a New Jerseyan.