Purely 19 - A College Virgin

Purely 19 - A College Virgin

Yes, we still exist

44
Purely 19 - A College Virgin
brittaerickson.wordpress.com/

Yes we still exist, if anyone is wondering. No, there is no rush to lose it. Some of the main reasons I have decided to abstain from sex is simple:

1.) I am saving it for my husband.

2.) My body is a temple.

3.) It makes it easier to walk away if things go south.

Do not get me wrong, it is not as easy as it looks, there is space and opportunity in college, but this is where being a mature adult kicks in. Have I wanted 'it'? Yes. I don't know what it feels like, I'm out of the loop in most (all) sex jokes, and I cannot relate when my friends hold conversations about it. There is nothing wrong with being a virgin in college, in fact many of my friends congratulate me on keeping it... then give me a 10-15 talk about keeping it until marriage and their experiences, but it keeps me on the right track.

Why save it until marriage?

Quite simple, my mom would kill me otherwise. On a serious note, I consider it a gift that cannot be bought. I can get my husband anything I can get any guy, but my virginity; once it is gone, that is it. When the time comes I want to be able to say I saved it for him before I even knew it was for him (personally).

My Body is a Temple

"Once you get it, you're going to want it." "It hurts the first couple of times, then gets better." The list goes on and on about the advice I receive from friends about sex. I appreciate the heads up, but I do not need it for now. My parents always told me that my body is a temple and that I should respect it. Therefore I am by abstaining from sex. I do not want to 'want it' from everyone, so I am not getting 'it' from anyone. I also do not have to worry about STD's, pregnancy scares, and STI's on top of my academic life.

It makes it easier to walk away.

When things go south, it is easier for me to walk away knowing that we do not do much. I did not give a part of me to him. I do not go into relationships awaiting breakups, but should things end undesirably, at least I did not use my 'first time' on him. I have heard that once you have sex with someone a piece of you is with them. Right now, once I shut a door, it is shut and I do not have any keys to open it back up.

I often get asked, 'What does it feel like to be a virgin?' It feels like every non-virgin's life before they had sex. I do not have magic powers or a third arm. Sometimes it is hard to date because I wonder eventually are they going to want sex? Are they going to respect my decision to keep it until marriage or ease me into it ? I normally tell the guy I am interested in within our first few conversations about my decision. Sometimes that works in my favor, other times not; which is okay because it weeds out the ones who do not need to be with me. There really is no rush to lose it. What do you have to look forward to when it is gone? The same routine (and some) to maintain a healthy life.

It is pretty much cuffing, netflix and chill, and cuddling season. It is getting cold and nothing sounds more inviting that being 'laid up' with someone. Come on now, we all know good and well what happens during this season in school. Just in case the moment comes around, and one person is not ready for the other person's more intimate plans, feel free to say stop or adjust yourself so that your body language says so.

We are young adults, living on our own terms. Do not feel the need to do anything before you are ready because of trend, pressure, or curiosity. If people cannot get with your lifestyle, then too bad for them. Love is way more than sex. If sex is the deciding factor as to where things go for a relationship, then it is time to reevaluate the matter. A virginity is preciously and pure, and only should be given to the person who rightly deserves it.