10 Ways To Cope With Psoriasis In College

One year later and I am still figuring it all out

813
Lily Sackman

Happy anniversary to me.

It's been officially one year since I was diagnosed with psoriasis. It's been a year coping with a condition that affects approximately 2.2% of the American population and 2 to 3% of the worldwide population.

I remember when I caught my first glance of bumps forming on random parts of my calf. Underneath the fluorescent light in my freshman dorm, I stared at the bumps that multiplied as each day went by. At a time of confusion in my college career, I was stressed, vulnerable and anxious.

There were bumps in the progress of my life, so my body responded and formed bumps on my skin.

After one whole year of ups and downs, I've grown from phases of insecurity, strength, low self-esteem, false hope, and disbelief. After endless research, medications, calling my dermatologist by the week (whose number is on speed dial), and multiple reruns of the Kardashians episode when Kim K was diagnosed, I've begun to teach myself to not let this skin condition control me.

End of the day: psoriasis is an auto-immune disease.

In other words, psoriasis depends on your general well-being. Psoriasis will play through phases, much similar to how we have phases in our life. Surely, I can tell myself "there is no hope", "there is no solution", or "it will always be there", but I will then let my condition control my life. There is a part of acceptance that must come with psoriasis; an acceptance that I myself still have not grown to truly grasp.

Things will work, things won't. Things will work one week, the next you will be hesitant to wear a revealing t-shirt. Some people will make your condition grow worse, while some will make it completely disappear.

All I know is that college is both the worst, yet best period in your life to be diagnosed. While you're figuring out the future of your life, you're figuring out ways you can hide a flare-up on your arm while still wearing your favorite sweater.

While you're insecure about the future of your career, you're insecure in your own skin. While your friends are meeting boys, you're hesitant to reach out to shake a stranger's hand, because what if they might see?

In a time when you're supposed to discover yourself and gain confidence within yourself, you're uncomfortable within your own skin.

However, it's better sooner rather than later. It's better to realize you have a life-long skin condition within the "in-between" stage of your life when you're figuring things out. In college, we're at a pause from reality.

In college, our every-day issues are 8-page papers, strict professors, and horrible roommates. I'd much rather learn how to deal with psoriasis nowrather than when monthly rent is due in a week, there is pressure from my job, and I'm still struggling on getting my life together.

Overall, psoriasis is an opportunity to take action now. Psoriasis may require your attention, but not your obsession. Psoriasis may require you to stay on top of things, but not all things. There is a way to cope with psoriasis, and here's what I've learned.

1. Once first diagnosed, be patient

Once my dermatologist informed me that my psoriasis was here to stay, it only grew worse. My body heard my panic and went in full "fight or flight" mode. I went from upset, too anxious, to incredulity and to anger--all of which were pessimistic ways of coping.

As I was trying medications, my skin only grew more irritated. The first step to coping with psoriasis is to mend your mental health. As psoriasis is most likely linked to stress and anxiety, the faster you can ease your thoughts, the faster your skin will say thank you.

2. See a variety of dermatologists

Psoriasis is a diagnosis. End of story. However, dermatologists' way of coping with psoriasis is endless. Some dermatologists will automatically prescribe you steroids. Some dermatologists will suggest altering your diet, alcohol intake and gluten levels.

Some dermatologists will suggest light therapy, while others will jump straight to injections. I've read countless articles, blog posts, psoriasis chat rooms, and endless conversations with my dermatologist.

Overall, the way you cope is up to you. However, before you jump to solutions, it's best to seek help from a wholesome variety of specialists. Know your options.

3. Seek psoriasis blogs

Once you realize you make up a small minority of the American population, you'll want to seek a support system. One month after I was diagnosed, I decided to seek role models and everyday individuals who were going through the same process as me.

The more support I sought, the less alone I felt in my process of coping. Plus, I gained insight that dermatologists could have never provided for me.

4. When on a cold campus, go tanning

One huge trigger of psoriasis comes from harsh, cold climates. As I study at Syracuse University, psoriasis will, most likely, always be with me as long as 30-degree weather in April is here to stay. As much as I could move to UCLA across the country, away from friends, family and my wish to study business, I would be moving solely for my condition.

Since I chose to stay in Syracuse, I've learned to go tanning. Never in my life would I think I would hear my dermatologist suggesting to go to a tanning salon. However, three times a week, for 5 minutes each session, I tan with UV light.

No, this is not a permanent solution. And no, I cannot continue doing this for months at a time. However, when temperatures are at a high of 10 degrees, it's nearly necessary for your spots to feel UV rays. Of course, speak with a doctor first and do your research.

5. Seek ways to destress

In college, it's nearly essential we find times in our days to de-stress, rewind and take a break. As many of my family and friends know, I'm an anxious person, which I'm sure is much of the reason psoriasis is so tenacious in my life.

Whether it be working out, going for a run, meditating, or hanging with the right group of friends, a calm mental state is a natural cure for your skin.

6. Surround yourself with the right people

Think of it like this: when you're uncomfortable and unsettled in your surroundings, your skin will feel uncomfortable in its own body. If your friends are unsupportive or your family is making you neurotic, your skin will only fight back.

The step to progress is surrounding yourself with support, care, and love for your well-being. If your surroundings are giving you a negative vibe, it's time to seek more optimistic people.

7. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize

Aquaphor, Cetaphil, CeraVe, they're all your friends. These are the most highly moisturizing lotions that'll protect your skin from more redness, itchiness, and dryness. Keep these lotions handy. Plus, tuck away travel-size lotions for when you hit the road or go to class.

Throughout the day, you'll need to re-apply.

8. Consider changing your diet

Although it has not yet been proven, eliminating gluten, high-calorie foods and inflammatory foods may be a step to curing your skin. However, before you start knocking things out of your lifestyle, seek a dietician to make sure everything is still on track.

9. Take your medications in stages

If you take topical steroids for a long-term use, this could potentially lead to a few mishaps later in your life, including skin thinning, bruising and aging. If your skin is in the middle of a flare-up, use the medication. However, when your skin is doing just fine without it, hold off on the meds.

10. Flaunt it

As summer is approaching, my anxiety towards showing off my shoulders in the summer sun has been increasing. As my friends try on skimpy bikinis, I'm worried to just wear a short sleeve. This summer, my skin will be on display. I can either hide under a rock for the duration of the season or I can flaunt what I have underneath a sunny, cloudless sky that I haven't seen in months.

Overall, my skin is who I am. My skin is who I have become. Now that I have begun to accept the skin that I am in, I can finally feel my skin accepting me back.