PSA: Donald Trump And The Republican Party Need To Start Listening To Science
Politics

How can we listen to leaders that don't believe in modern science?

32

On September 20th, 2016, hundreds of scientists in the United States published a letter directed towards Donald Trump and the rest of the Republican Party, urging them to consider staying in the Paris Agreement that was signed last year to combat climate change for a low carbon future. This letter, as stated, was written and signed by over three hundred of our best scientists, and highlights the need for Trump and the Republican Party to rely on science, which they have not yet done.

In the letter, the scientists outline what nearly everyone in science believes: human-caused climate change is certain beyond reasonable doubt. Point blank, it is not a hoax or a conspiracy; the phenomenon is caused by us and it's happening right now.

Human-caused climate change is a pressing, extremely serious issue that needs to be addressed. It causes visible changes to this planet, and those changes can be seen everywhere. For instance, the oceans are warming and rising, precipitation patterns have been altered, the icecaps are melting, acidification is reaking havoc on coral, and not to mention, hundreds of species are in danger of becoming extinct. Overall, the things that we are doing to this planet are immensley dangerous and an extreme risk to our futures.

However, as the scientists have stated, many of our country's politicians, most recognizably, Donald Trump and some Republicans, have disputed this science. They have claimed that the Earth is not warming, or that it is warming because of natural fluctuations. Some, especially Donald Trump, have made wildly inaccurate claims, such as the fact that global warming was created by the Chinese. Below are just some of Trump's tweets regarding the issue:

Frankly, Trump's claims are entirely incorrect, and the scientific community, as well as much of the world, has called him out on it. Thus, scientists across the United States have sent their letter to try to make Donald Trump and the rest of the Republicans understand the science of it all. They urge the Republican Presidential nominee and Republican politicians to accept the reality of science and to battle the issues that we are up against.

Further, the scientists suggest that if Donald Trump becomes the next President of the United States of America, he will majorly compromise us by refuting that climate change is caused by humans. Not only that, but Trump has plans to withdraw from the Paris agreement, taking away America's opportunity to be an innovative world leader on sustainable solutions, but also our opportunity to create a better world for us and future generations. In other words, we simply cannot elect a man that does not support science and their findings that humans majorly cause climate change.

In the end, I just hope that Trump, as well as other Republicans, start listening to science, as we will end in disaster if they don't.