Prove Them Wrong

Prove Them Wrong

“Be somebody nobody thought you could be,” said the wise man, William Chapman.

19
Prove Them Wrong
Adrianna Roberts

In our society, we have various people telling us who we can and cannot be. The people we look up to, unnoticeably tell us what we cannot do. As people, whether we like to admit it or not, the opinions of others affect us. Some opinions challenge us, while some tear us down. Sometimes we avoid the opinions, but then on a gloomy day we look back on all the negative vibes people threw our way. As my previous content post voiced that we are all different, this only adds to it. With our different viewpoints, personalities, weaknesses, and strengths we all handle other peoples’ opinions differently. I asked ten people the simple question, “What is something someone told you that you couldn't be?” I took what they said, and posted them below.

“When I use to sing songs on the radio, I would say that I wanted to sing professionally one day, but my mom told me that I couldn’t sing. So I never sang around her after that. I listened to what people would tell me referring to what I couldn’t be or do, but I never took it to heart because they were just words.” –Travis Roberts

“When I explain to people that I desire to become a midwife, I get crazy looks and questions similar to, ‘Why would you WANT to do that?’ Or unappreciated opinions such as, ‘You should get an 8am-4pm job, it is more consistent and easier.’ I get discouraged, and I just tell people that I am finishing school to become a nurse practitioner because I am tired of being judged. I have not become anything yet, but I am proudly still working towards my personal goal to become a midwife.” –Hannah Bauman

“When I was in high school I had a coach tell me that I had the heart and desire to play the game, but I did not have the skill. My basketball coach basically told me that I could not be a successful basketball player. It really hurt, so after this conversation I went on to find new interests and new hobbies that I found I enjoyed more.” –Megan Neubert

“I have always told myself to never be normal or accepted.” –Anonymous

“Nobody told me I could be pretty because I'm a larger woman. But I know beauty goes beyond my looks.” –Anonymous

“Most people don’t agree with me being a film major. They see it as more of a hobby and an unrealistic career. But I'm going to make it happen.” –Demi Agresta

“I've actually told myself that I wouldn't be able to accomplish the things I've always wanted to be. Instead of being my own cheerleader. I was my biggest enemy. I didn't believe in myself, let alone love myself. It took a lot of hard work to reconcile with myself and let God back into my heart.” –Monica Fanfare

“Growing up I wanted to be an archeologist. I was told I couldn't be that because people can't always be what they want to be.” –Matthew Green

“Back in the early nineties I opened the case on my computer to work on it and a friend of mine said I should leave that to the professionals. I told him I was going to be a professional computer guy of some sort and he laughed. Now I'm the Senior sql Database Administrator of a Fortune 500 company.” –Joe Gray

"Someone told me I couldn't be a business owner, and I think I probably even told myself that, but with God's direction and my wife's help now I have owned one for eight years, operate a small seasonal business, and I am working on opening another business that is beyond my wildest dreams." -Tim Crabtree

What I found while conducting my interviews, most of the people had more than one instance where someone questioned their ability to do something or to be someone. Some of the people used the discouragement and went against what was said. While some of them, took the advice as constructive criticism and made something beautiful of it. A lot of times we get words slung our way that suggest we do something “more beneficial” or something “more promising.” Those opinions have great intentions behind them, but they are not always welcomed. People have to realize that money will not fulfill the hole in your heart. Do not get me wrong, I understand that love cannot provide a house, clothes on my back, or the survival supplies needed to keep me alive; however, I know that if I do not have joy (completely different that happiness) in my heart doing whatever it is plus a passionate soul towards reaching that goal, then it is a waste of my life. God has a plan for each of us, but it is different amongst each of us. Everything happens for a reason. You make choices that affect your everyday life.

I challenge you to be you. Be the person everyone says you cannot be, do what they tell you that you cannot do. Live your life how God designed it for you. Follow His plan. Also, be careful what you tell someone. It may scar them for the rest of their life. We all have the potential to be who we desire to be, and it is not our place in this world to rob people of following their heart. You are capable, strong, and brave enough to conquer your largest dreams and climb to the top of the ladder. Do today what will draw you closer to where you want to be tomorrow. Listen to what people have to say, but only take to heart what you want.