Proud To Be An American, Ashamed To Be A Millennial

To all that believe Millennials are entitled, lazy, privileged, college students who work for nothing but are given everything, you are right.

413
http://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/articles/2016-10-13/what-does-the-american-dream-mean-for-millennials

To all that believe Millennials are entitled, lazy, privileged, college students who work for nothing but are given everything, you are right. To those of you who believe that all millennials are this way, you are wrong. You see, I first found out what a Millennial was about a year ago. When I found out that I was one, I was excited. To have been thought of as the generation that brought about such change within the economy and education field, I could not be more thrilled, up until this point of course. I thought being a Millennial automatically made me innovative, intelligent, ahead of the game and an asset to society. When I started paying more attention to what society and the Baby Boomer generation really thought of us, I grew more and more offended. I would think to myself, "They're all wrong. They have no idea what it is to be in our shoes. They are solely judging us based on who they were at our age and who they are now compared to who we are today. How dare they even begin to utter such doubt and grumblings against us. We are what is making the world go around with this new technology and information that makes society grow."

Then the election rolled around and I started to see where the other generations were coming from; I started to see validation for what they were saying and believing about Millennials. The day after President Elect Donald Trump is confirmed to be our president for the next four years, Millennials begin to protest, begin to pout, begin to refuse to go to classes that they are so privileged to go to and begin to seek alternative ways to get Donald Trump out of office when he has not even begun his term. They begin to threaten leaving a free country, begin to abuse the very land and belief of which our Four Fathers fought so hard for. Millennials started a movement, alright. But it is not the kind of movement that brings empowerment. It is not the kind of movement that brings joy. It is not the kind of movement that makes everyone stand back and see the justification in what they are doing. This movement is in no way professional, justifiable, honorable, nor patriotic; this "movement" is deplorable.

The older generations were right in finding my generation entitled and privileged: we don't react to things we don't like in a manner that would be considered reasonable. Instead, we stomp our feet, throw our fists and make absolute fools of ourselves. People all over this country are shaking their heads at the idiotic behavior that was being displayed before and after the election. Were we, as Americans, not taught to handle movements with grace and dignity? We as Millennials are embarrassing to our former suffragettes, to revolutionists, to peacemakers. They did not take our national flag and burn it as a statement in hopes of justifying their actions. Millennials, you are proclaiming your hatred for the very free land you live on. To me, that is the most disgraceful, UN-American thing you could do.

Believe me, you've made your point extremely clear: you cannot stand the thought of having Donald Trump as our commander in chief. I'm here to tell you something, I am a woman and I did, in fact, vote for Donald Trump. Ghastly, I know. How dare I, a woman vote for a man who sexually harassed a woman, who talks down women, who views women as nothing but objects. But let me remind you that the woman you voted for stood by a man who did the very same thing. Everyone has flaws, it is not our place to criticize nor is it our place to judge them based on their past, present or future. Besides, the majority of our information comes from the media and how valid is that anyway? We are allowed to have an opinion, to use our voices in order to project that opinion. It is our constitutional right. But don't go pointing fingers at someone who is really no different than you are.

I stand here before my fellow Millennials, proud to say that I am at peace with who is about to take office. Why? Because that man stands for the same republican beliefs as me. My faith in Christ comes first. In saying that, I voted for Trump, who just so happens to stand behind the republican values. My views on politics first must match up with what I stand for spiritually. That, my fellow Millennials, is why I am against your "movement" and why I am ashamed to be lumped into a generation where a right is no longer a right, but is the entitled privilege.

From the bottom of my heart, older generations, I apologize for the statement that my generation is making. Believe me, we're not all this way. Those of us who are not speaking up learned what it is like to have an opinion and execute it with strength, grace, dignity and patriotism. We were fully educated on how to respect this country and show respect to this country. That is why I say that I am proud to be an American, but am ashamed to be a Millennial.

"If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you." -John 15:18