I Am Proud Of The Strides Society Has Made In Human Equality

I Am So Proud Of Society Because Of The Strides We’ve Made in Human Respect And Equality

To think that women couldn't even vote 100 years ago, we've come a long way.

206

It's finally 2019, and we should take some time to re-evaluate how far humanity and society have come in general in the last few centuries and the last year.

To think that slavery existed less than two centuries ago and that just a century ago African-Americans did not have civil rights in the U.S. and women could not vote absolutely dumbfounds me. In this day and age, I could not imagine our society without basic human rights and equality for everyone, and I am sure that there are millions of others like me. We have finally realized that we are no different from each other and that we are only part of one race — the human race.

In fact, we have taken a responsibility to call out others who are guilty of treating other humans with disrespect.

As the 2018 YouTube Rewind video stated, "Everyone who managed to do something bigger than themselves this year. Who found a way to help the causes that matter to them most. To everyone who proved it's okay to talk about mental health this year, and showing our viewers that it's okay to go through tough times like that. It takes a lot of bravery to be that vulnerable and I'm so proud of this community."

While I was one of the many who did not want to see this type of content in YouTube Rewind (I wanted YouTube to focus on popularized and non-cringy trends from the year), I still wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

Even in the last year itself, we have found a way to respect one another and allow topics like mental health to be discussed without fear of being attacked. I truly believe that as humans, we have changed our perceptions of one another and do not jump to conclusions based on stereotypes. Even topics like sexual assault that were shut down before and hard to talk about are now empowering all people to speak out against the despicable act and empowering victims to speak out against their attackers without fear or embarrassment.

I know there is still discrimination in our world today, even with bouts of racism in the United States as well as poor attitudes to foreigners whose reputations have been tainted by stereotypes. But I honestly have seen a major change in society and an evolution of humanity for the better.