Pros and Cons of Moving Back Home

Pros and Cons of Moving Back Home

It isn't always bad

1124
Pros and Cons of Moving Back Home
Huggpost

From early childhood you dream of the day you get to leave your parents' house, get a place of your own, and have a taste of true freedom. You count down the years, months, even days until you leave for college, basic training, or just your first apartment with roommates that you split the rent with on your two or three part time jobs' pay. But, sometimes life has other plans for you and you wind up right back where you started. In your parents home.

Here are some of the CONS:

1) Sometimes they establish a curfew.

We all know our parents want the best for us, and as young adults we want to enjoy ourselves while we are still young. Go out and have a good time and a few drinks, whatever tickles our fancy. Try to respect it or find a compromise. It is not ideal, of course, but it is manageable.

2) You are now reliant on them

It is hard to be independent when you are relying on your parents after having been off to college. It is a huge change from being in a dorm with roommates, or wherever you moved from. Just know that they only want the best for you and parents do not wish to see their offspring fail or fall in anyway.

3) Rules... Rules... SO MANY RULES!

All the rules can be overwhelming when at one time you made your own. If you are lucky there won’t be many, if any. For many of us that is never the case. Going from making none of the rules, to all of the rules, then make to all the rules you had before can be overwhelming to say the least. Middle ground can always be found.

Here are some of the PROS:

1) Home cooked meals all the time!!!

Who doesn't love a warm home cooked FREE meal that doesn't come from a Styrofoam cup or a cafeteria line. Mom's famous spaghetti, or whatever you love from your childhood is a big difference from ramen noodles. A home cooked meal can make it worth it all on it's own.

2) NO RENT!

If you are lucky your parents won't charge you a cent in rent. This is money you could be putting a way for anything, including a new place for yourself. However, if you are working, try to offer a little something to help. They don't have to take it of course but sometimes the effort is appreciated and can make the stay more bearable.

3) Don't have to drive home for the holidays.

We all know that drive home was rough, back and forth. You do not miss that drive home. However, this does not always mean the holidays will be as welcoming. You have been warned.

4) Comfort and support when you need it.

Hard breakups are nothing if you have your mother there to comfort you in such a tough life situation. As well as if you lose a job or need help finding a new one. The support of your family can make or break you in your path to success as well. It is a great thing to have, even if you do not need it all the time.

5) You can work on yourself and your future.

If you are working this is a great time to set up a good marketing strategy. Build your resume, clientele, whatever it is you went to school for, apply it. You can use this time to save money, make relationships and even get your affairs in order.

Moving back in with your parents is never the end of the world. It has become so common after college to move home that it has practically become the norm. In any case, you have to take the good with the bad. Sometimes it may be more bad than good. Fortunately it is only temporary. Let things happen, use the time wisely and never take advantage.