The Promise That Shapes My Idea Of Promises
Nature Animals

Promises are more than just words, they are a reflection of who you are.

46

Doesn't it seem insane? The fact that I have never tasted a cow before and how I am almost 21 years old and the thought of eating a cow isn't on my bucket list. Many people ask me why I haven't and tell me I am missing out on the greatest thing on Earth. They are honestly probably right. A cow is probably the most amazing thing on Earth and a big juicy steak that everyone orders at Outback or Longhorn Steakhouse is probably heavenly.

But I for some reason just don't care.

This may be the silliest story out there but when I was a child I loved cows, like not just the love you have for your pet bear but I collected everything cow-like. I had a piggy bank that was really a "cow bank" and I had a whole family of cow stuffed animals. There was something about it that just made me love cows.

So when I was a kid I decided to make a promise to myself that I would never eat cow, and many, many years later here I am.

This little promise got me thinking about all the promises I've made and how many I actually stuck with throughout my lifetime. The idea came across my head that if my 7-year-old self could make a promise and somehow keep that promise, then why can't people we love keep promises? It got me thinking and slowly coming to an understanding that if people really wanted to, they could keep a promise. We break promises so easily and no one seems to care about them.

I want to go back to the old days where a pinky promise was like jumping a cliff and promises weren't just made to achieve a goal.

I think our generation should jump back to an understanding that a promise isn't just a word or a saying we say to one another and can take for granted. A promise is something that you should stick by whether you are 7 years old or 25 years old. A promise is something you should hold dear to your heart, a promise is your integrity and your word so don't treat it as if its something of little importance.