A Promise To The Woman I'll Be

A Promise To The Woman I'll Be

My todays are shaping her tomorrows and I promise to do my best to lead a good life.

10
A Promise To The Woman I'll Be

I am 21 years old. I've barely reached a quarter in terms of a century-long life. Heck, I'm barely old enough to drink. As a pre-service elementary teacher I find myself feeling older rather than younger i.e. I mention a GameCube to a 4th grader who tells me they don't know what that is. Yet, at the same time people talk about 401k's and retirement and I remember I'm not there yet. I feel like I'm in that weird middle stage of life where I know people getting married and starting careers; yet I also know people who spend their weekends in bars. Honestly sometimes I am so frustrated by this middle stage of life, like I'm not really living just kind of living in limbo. As if fast forwarding through this time period would make me happier. But then happened Gilmore Girls. If you're like me you've waited in anticipation at the release of "Gilmore Girls" and devoured all the episodes. (NO SPOILERS DON'T WORRY) Paris references a quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson as she walks through the halls of her high school,

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yes, in the future most of these days will be distant memories and faint images. But these days will be the ones that make me. So, in the midst of pitting my barely a century of a life crisis I've set forth to make a promise to my future self.

A Promise to the Woman I Will Be

I promise I'll always remember who I was and where I've come from. That my family has shaped me from our good qualities to carry on and the ones I want to forget. So in life I can be a good daughter, a good sister; one day a good wife and a good mother.

I promise that life won't always be like high school. I won't hold on to past mistakes or heavy grudges but be quick to forgive and let go. That pettiness, anger, and the green eyed monster will not reign in my heart. There is no room for hate there, I will not leave you with heavy burdens.

I promise to love those around me. I know that people come and people go, a lot fewer truly stay. But each and every one who has stepped into my life will remember our time as one filled with love and filled with grace.

I promise to contribute to the bigger picture. That my life will not only be about me, but about people. I will help those in need and go beyond just being a good person by DOING. I'll be interrupted for those who have never had someone stop, just for them.

I promise to make a mark on this world. Because the career path I chose was not for the money or status, but for students. Each future mind that I will educate and inspire to become their own person and leave their own mark on this world will matter to me.

I promise to be faithful to The Lord. To know who holds my tomorrows and gives me daily purpose. He has never failed or forgotten me and He never will. If I leave any mark, I pray it be His.

Lastly, I promise to now begin making the life I want to live. To know who I am, to grow up with grace, to love the ones I am with, to see the bigger picture, to inspire generations, and to humbly walk it with my Lord. So that one day when I look back I may not remember the books I read or the meals I ate but the life I lived with love and grace. To the woman I'll one day be, this is my promise.