Progress, Not Perfection

Progress, Not Perfection

Strive to be a better you in 2017.

25
Progress, Not Perfection

We are only a week or so into the New Year, and I cannot count how many New Year’s resolutions I have already heard from friends and family. While I think that there is absolutely nothing wrong with setting resolutions for 2017, I think it is important to think about why we set those particular resolutions and what we want to accomplish. With that being said, I challenge all of us to focus more on being better versions of ourselves instead of getting tied up in our daily health and fitness. Again, I think wanting to be healthier in the New Year is wonderful, but do not get discouraged on whether or not you maintain your resolutions, but direct your focus to improve yourself in any area, whatever that may be. Maybe your resolutions include things like eating healthier, improving your relationships, spending more time in your Bible, achieving a certain career goal, or if you’re anything like me, maybe you are striving to be more consumer savvy in your shopping. (The first step is admitting your problem, right?) If any of your resolutions fall under these categories, well I think that’s great. However, focus on improving in any area of your life, instead of being obsessed with conquering several specific goals. By all means, reach for the stars, but also remember that you are human and perfection will not happen in 2017.

To sum things up, I challenge you to improve even the smallest things about yourself. Maybe these are things like being slow to lash out during a time of anger, or doing even the smallest tasks you’ve been putting off, or maybe making a habit of setting aside some quiet time for yourself. Read a book for fun, take a bath, go on a hike, or whatever brings you joy to ensure that you are focusing on you. During the hustle of our everyday schedules, we forget to take time for ourselves. Do not forget that in order to achieve all of the resolutions we have already set our minds to for 2017, we have to make sure we are taking care of ourselves first. Let’s take time to reflect on ourselves. Are we giving the best version of ourselves to our spouses, friends, family, co-workers, etc.? Are we quick to listen and slow to speak? What is your reaction when a trial comes your way? I challenge all of us to improve our habits that do not bring positivity to others. I challenge all of us to think about how we can use our God-given talents to improve the lives and attitudes of others. In order to have an impact on those around us, we must look within ourselves. What are some habits that are holding you back from all that this year has to offer? Do your New Year’s “resolutions” involve being a better you? Do your goals radiate solidity to the things that are truly important to you? What are your intentions for the New Year? Whatever they are, do not strive for perfection, but strive for progress.