The Most Productive New Year's Resolution Yet

Trump is heading America towards complete ruin, but it's not too late to stop him.

59

It's been one heck of a year for everybody. We've experienced new changes to our healthcare, environmental regulations, foreign relations, immigration laws, travel abilities, and governmental transparency. And I can't say it's all been for the better.

Our newly elected President hasn't made the change in office easy and has left the majority of American's wishing for a 2016 presidential election do-over.

I knew that it was going to be a challenge for President Trump to get through his first year as the new U.S. President, but I didn't know that he would be so reckless and inconsiderate of the progress that the U.S. has made.

It seems like he has gone out of his way, not only to make the American people resent him more than they already do but make the rest of the world loathe his existence as well.

Since his inauguration, Trump has lied continuously about his well known sexual harassment claims and collusion with Russia during his presidential campaign. The FBI has gathered multiple sources detailing his involvement with Putin, but because our President lacks honor and humility, he will continue to deny the evidence until his last day in office.

Before the new year begins, I suggest we all make a few resolutions. There are a couple important things that should be acknowledged so that our lists are rightfully suited for 2018:

1. The United States of America is the only nation in the world who hasn't committed itself to the Paris climate agreement.

2. More than 10 women have joined the #MeToo campaign accusing President Trump of sexual assault.

3. Trump is being heavily investigated for colluding with Russia to help him win the 2016 Presidential election against Hillary Clinton.

4. An estimated 20 million people are insured under the Affordable Care Act but will find themselves uninsured because of Trump's plans to replace it in 2018.

As quoted in the film V for Vendetta, "people should not be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people." The American people are given the ability to choose who runs our government and that kind of power will never change.

We may have elected Trump into office, but that doesn't mean we have to idly sit by and watch as he destroys all of the progress we have built in the past few years.

When 2018 comes around in 5 days, I'm determined to find a more active society. I'm not talking about seeing more people jog in the morning. I'm talking about a more politically active society.

More protests.

Higher voter turnout in local and national elections.

More calls/emails to legislators.

If our government chooses not to open their ears to the very people who elected them, then we must act as though it's no longer their choice.