Being Productive Isn't Easy.

Your Productivity 'Cheat Sheet'

Take care of yourself

85
https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7414/16240109340_19d1a295db_b.jpg
Flickr

Regardless how far into the semester you are, it's never too late to turn things around. Of course, sooner is better than later, and if you're trying to change your D to an A during finals week, I don't have much advice for you. So try these things out early in the semester so you can at least try to kick some of the inner-procrastinator out of you. These are definitely not fool-proof, but they have helped me out!

1. Keep a planner

Year after year I find myself buying planners with intentions of using them all year to make me feel like I have myself together, but it very rarely is a constant. Oddly enough, I've found that when I don't buy a cheap planner that you can buy at the drug store, I use it a lot more. At least then I feel a little more obligated because I spent more money. Weird, but it works for me.

2. Set goals for yourself

I'm not talking about what you want to be when you grow up; I mean things you can accomplish this semester or this month. They keep you on track and really get you thinking about where you want to head. Also, try to set a timeline for these goals. Maybe you want to get an A on your final, so you can start working on that goal now and then really focus in the week before. Or maybe you want to workout 5 out of the 7 days a week so you start with 2 or 3 and work your way up.

3. Limit your time on your phone/social media

I know that we've all heard it a million times and our parents complain about it daily, but they aren't completely wrong (for once). The second I pick up my phone, I'm pretty much just accepting failure. When we have our phones out, we channel out a good amount of the world around us, and that can make or break your grade. Sometimes even that lost 60 seconds can make a difference and then you have to get yourself back involved in what is being said.

4. Give yourself a break

It seems like we are constantly working and stressing, but that's honestly just leading back to us being unproductive. We can't keep going and going and going because we will get burnt out and not care. I think that's why so many of us end up skipping the most classes like a month before finals because we are just tired emotionally and physically. So give yourself a chance to relax every once in a while, whether that be taking the time to watch an episode of TV or taking a nap. Let yourself unwind so that you can put all of your focus into what you need to get done.

5. Go to bed early and wake up early

This has definitely been the hardest for me to adopt, and I still haven't quite mastered it (I'm a big fan of the snooze button). Going to bed early is hard in college because it seems like there's always something to do, whether it be hanging out with friends or an assignment you really need to get done before your class tomorrow. Give yourself time to do those things earlier in the day so that you can get your sleep. Waking up earlier in the morning gives you a chance to get more things done and be more awake for your first class.