Procrasti-Nation: Land Of The Lackadaisical

Why So Many Get Off at the Procrastination Station and How to Get Back on Track

22

Many students suffer the rotten habit of procrastinating; that is the art of waiting until the very last second to go through with something. Research and personal experience proves that too many times the consequences of this practice reflect poorly on paper and character. There are several reasons commonly attributing to this lousy work ethic, most of which turn around to simply excuses for lackadaisical behavior. However, just as there are reasons, there are solutions to help procrastinators worldwide overcome their rancid routines—eventually.

Dr. Pamela D. Garcy narrows down nine reasons in her article for Psychology Today including: low self-esteem, role models with similar habits, lack of self-confidence, personal biases, poor time management, perfectionism, too much focus on present experience, mental illness, and overall discomfort. Garcy goes on to explain how these factors attribute to the all too common lazy conduct. Studies prove those who suffer from less self-love or low self-esteem are highly more susceptible to stress, same applies to those who lack the confidence within themselves to complete “a job well done.” The majority of professional procrastinators did not necessarily consciously decide to begin their last minute lifestyles but rather, picked up on the habits and behaviors of those around them- their “role model” figures. Personal biases and perfectionism also thread into this tangled loom; the ideas that it simply cannot be done or that it cannot be done absolutely flawless hold far too many back. A factor commonly looked over is those who focus solely on the frustration of the present and less on what Garcy calls the “gains of the future,” this creates an attitude fit for giving up all because the task is perceived as too difficult. An uncomfortable work area or goal, mental illnesses like depression or anxiety, and obviously poor time management are a few major factors in the procrastination post. What Darcy failed to mention are life’s distractions: family, friends, technology, extracurricular activities, and other priorities; sometimes plates become too full, leaving one food for last and by that time it seems it’s already cold.

Overcoming the overwhelming takes some time, however, it proves important to prioritize solutions to habitual postponement. Garcy proposes several resolutions correlating to her nine reasons. It is suggested one looks at themselves in a positive, optimistic light versus a negative, critical darkness and be sure to harness acceptance in all forms. Likewise, it is important to seek strong role models, ones with progressive outcomes and exemplary time management skills. If coping with self-doubt or trying to complete a task that becomes uncomfortable or unusually difficult, do not be afraid to ask for help, work together and in the end learn from the experience. Early is the new late, suffering of poor time management—snap out of it and begin working sooner, even provide a reward when a job is finished early or on time. For mental illnesses, proper treatments such as therapy or medicine are significant. And above all do not let fear become a setback to accomplishing goals; be willing to push the occasional boundary, to leap further than before, and not to worry if the outcome does not match perfection.

Far too many stop at the procrastination station, whether it be in work, school, or individual goals, all face the consequences that ride along with laziness. As easy as it is to delay responsibilities, it demonstrates just as easy to get back on track. No more points taken off for late assignments, no more slim pickings for Mother’s Day flowers, because planning ahead is officially the new “eh I’ll do it later.”