Have You Heard Of Pro-Ana Communities?

Have You Heard Of Pro-Ana Communities?

They are absolutely influential - but for all the wrong reasons.

24
Have You Heard Of Pro-Ana Communities?
women's health

A central reason as to why people voluntarily come together as a group (online, or in person) is mainly for support, encouragement, and unity. These same rules apply for healthy groups, just as they do for unhealthy ones.

In this instance, I am specifically referring to online websites, chat rooms, videos, and blogs which promote the lifestyle of...

Pro-Ana, which is promoting the "choice" to be anorexic as a healthy and sustainable lifestyle, and as a healthy way to lose weight.

While browsing through my Google search for only a few minutes on the subject, I was bombarded with "Tips and Tricks" on how to skip out on those calories, and guarantees to massive weight loss in short spans of time.

Overall, it was a promotion of anorexia and it being a good lifestyle choice.

It's not.

These sites are extremely dangerous, and viewers don't realize just how influential they are, and how quickly reading these posts, and being part of these (in many ways addicting) communities can greatly influence one's life.

The thoughts become overconsuming, posts bring about extremely unhealthy competition, and the constant thought of being "better" encapsulates the majority of our daily thoughts.

While traversing though life, I've met many influential people, and a few of these lovely individuals have struggled with anorexia (along with other eating disorders). Along their paths of recovery, many of them had encountered websites such as the ones mentioned above, which encourage disordered eating habits.

Avoiding these sites while in recovery is a must, but it's also extremely hard to do.

By continuing to be engaged in these online communities, it can easily lead to an increase in disordered thinking, social isolation in order to avoid distressing situations, and possibly increase the amount of time spent in treatment, or have a positive influence over one's chance at relapsing in the future.

Personally, I believe that individuals who search out these sites are looking to validate there own feelings, and impulses, and to become part of a community which does offer them support and is working towards a common goal.

I have immense empathy for those who seek out these resources, and I also have empathy for those producing these websites.

I believe the main thing that the seekers and producers have in common is that they are both looking to feel justified in their thoughts and actions, and to connect with people who are similar to themselves.

The online world, being as extensive as it is, gives us all the opportunity to create communities which foster growth, or others which hinder our emotional health.

In a perfect world, I would wish for the those producing, and partaking in, these online communities to instead foster a community of healthy support, holistic health services, and a social community working together on a journey towards the common goal of recovery.

In response to all those who have ever been involved with these sites in any way (myself included), my advice to you is that to first create a priorities list of important lifetime goals which you want to achieve.

Think to yourself - can you really, really, achieve these lifetime goals while continuing these unhealthy choices? (Keep in mind that this isn't a bargaining game between which aspects of the eating disorder you want to keep, and others you could do without. No matter how hard you may try this isn't possible).

Remember that you are an individual with so much more to grace yourself with than comparing what you think you should be, to who you are right here, right now. Once this realization is made, life becomes simply brighter.

Finally, know that you're loved, you're not alone, and that there really is a healthier way of life waiting for you if you make the decision to stay strong, and chase it.

"When life puts you in hard situations, don't say, "why me?" say, "try me."