Things I learned from an all-girls catholic school

5 Things I Learned From Going To An All-Girls Catholic School For 9 Years

Jesus Christ is my friend.

2364
Kate Tulenko

As an alumnus from an all-girls Catholic school, I am quite familiar with the ridiculous rules and regulations that were forced upon students. I have experienced first-hand everything an all-girls school has to offer, so this article really comes from the heart.

1. Nuns aren’t scary

Sure, the nuns in the movies are terrifying. They hit you on the hands with rulers, scream at you, hey, they even might banish you to hell (that was a joke). But from my experience, the nuns at my high school were some of the kindest and caring women I have ever met. They did not live a typical holy life—some played a college sport for a D1 team and some were insane partiers before they joined the convent. They're honestly just regular people who dress in capes and sing holy songs.

2. Uniforms are low-key a blessing

I didn't realize this until I got to college, where I found out that I really don't have any normal clothes to wear to class. At a private school (which I have attended for 9 years), the only clothes I wore besides a uniform were sweatpants and the occasional nice outfit for when I had to dress up. And I can say, I truly miss not having to plan out outfits and just being able to throw on a uniform at the crack of dawn and leave my house.

3.  HOW TO WRITE RESEARCH PAPERS

Oh. My. Goodness. The number of research papers I had to write my junior to senior year of high school seemed like the worst possible form of torture I could put myself through. However, when I got to college, I learned how easy it was for me to whip out a research paper in a matter of hours (but make sure you revise it!). I also learned that there were a ton of people who didn't know how to even write a research paper. So, stay strong kids. This pain will help in the long run.

4.  You know (a little) too much about Jesus

I honestly feel like a priest sometimes at college. People will ask questions about religion, and I will find myself going on and on answering them, lecturing my friends on my faith and how it came to be. I was obviously a Catholic, but I was not a very dedicated one, so it was weird that I found myself speaking for so long. Honestly, I didn't even know I knew this much about religion, but if anyone had a question, I would be the first to jump to answer it, which was odd to me. But, I am thankful for being able to do that.

5.   You’ll come to miss the weird traditions that your school does

Kate Tulenko

My high school was notorious for weird traditions and competitions. Often times, I found myself performing dances with my classmates in front of the entire student body, or dressing up as the Jonas Brothers and singing, asking myself why I was even doing this. (Obviously, senior year you will love doing these things because it is your last time ever doing them). College does not really have traditions like this, at least not ones that bring your whole class together. But all I know is that right now, I would love to do my Twisted Tunes performance for the whole school again.