Presidents Deserve Respect

Presidents Deserve Respect

Americans should respect government officials, even if the don't agree

214
Presidents Deserve Respect
Wired

Presidents used to be respected. Sure they were teased occasionally on SNL and other late night shows, but they were still respected.

Our 45th president Donald trump has not only been a punchline on sitcoms but now there is an entire show on Comedy Central dedicated to mocking him, called The President Show. The show features Anthony Atamanuik playing Donald Trump.

The way the media portrays President Trump and the constant ridicule he receives, it was no surprise that Kathy Griffin decided to pose with a fake bloody head that appeared to be Trump. This uncomfortable attempt at a joke has led to her being fired from CNN. Griffin tweeted a video apologizing for going too far but unfortunately the damage is done.

Even though Griffin refers to herself as a comedian, that does not make her "joke" acceptable. While comedians often push the limits and make jokes that are not funny to everyone, they should still try to avoid offending large groups of people and the leader of their country.

Donald Trump Jr. stated to ABC News, “I don’t think we did anything inappropriate … but then to run and claim victimhood? She deserves everything that’s coming to her.” The Trump family was obviously disturbed by Griffin's photos. Insulting the President of the United States will most likely hurt her career.

It is very unfortunate that so many Americans do not show our president the respect he deserves. Even if they do not agree with him or support him, he is still the man running our country. No other president has had to deal with this level of disrespect. No one would have ever made an entire TV show mocking Barack Obama.

It is disappointing that many Americans are abusing their right to free speech. No matter what our views and opinions are, the people running our country deserve a certain level of respect.