Do The Presidential Debates Really Change Anyone's Vote?

. . . or do voters now just watch them for entertainment?
0

Every four years, when the final months approaching the presidential election come around, it becomes more important than ever for the candidates to express their views on the major issues. While throughout their campaigns the candidates express these opinions, the main time voters are able to compare the differences in perspectives are during the presidential debates; however, by the time these debates occur, it seems as if most people are clearly decided in who they are voting for. So, in reality, does watching these debates change any people’s minds of who they will vote for?

Before election day on November 8, three presidential debates are held between the two candidates. This year, the first two debates between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump took place on September 26, at Hofstra University and October 9, at Longwood University, with the final one to take place on October 19 at the University of Nevada.

Throughout these debates, Clinton and Trump solidified their views on various prominent topics including job creation, healing America’s racial divide, the future of the Supreme Court, whether or not they feel their campaigns are setting a good example for America’s younger generation, and America’s security, in order to allow voters to see why they are the best candidate for the job. But, when you really think about it, does anything they say at this point at the race change who you will vote for?

Chances are, by now, nearly everyone who is voting in the upcoming election has made up their mind of which candidate they choose to support over the other. This being said, when they watch an event such as the debate, will they have an open mind to what each candidate is actually saying, or will they automatically assume that their candidate is right and the other is wrong? Or, even when their candidate says something absolutely ridiculous, while the other makes a good point, will it make any difference at all to them?

As much as it should, it appears that more often than not, once one is with a candidate, they are with them all the way. They are likely to be completely biased in hearing whatever their candidate says against the other, hearing what they want to hear only, and blocking out the rest. Even if their candidate makes numerous statements and/or acts in a way they should not while they are running for President of the United States, they will still stand by them.

It seems as if more people now watch the debates for entertainment purposes, instead of what they should be doing, which is watching them to get to know the two candidates, and listening to their plans for the issues they will have to deal with if they are elected. Given these two recent debates have been more like a bickering match in which between Clinton and Trump attack each other’s character more than anything else, there is still so much important information about the candidates and their vision for the future of America that comes out of them that must be paid attention to.