Preserving America Before It's Too Late

Preserving America Before It's Too Late

Remembering America's Heritage.

21
Preserving America Before It's Too Late
Joel's Blog

With the upcoming election, political parties, candidates, and agendas are being broadcast constantly. During this critical time in American history, it is important for the American people to reflect on the key freedoms treasured so dearly: bringing to remembrance why “we the people” are so thankful and proud to be free American citizens.

No other country in the world has had the heritage America has had. In 1492 when Columbus discovered the New World, he could not have imagined what it would be like today. When the pilgrims traveled to America seeking religious freedom, they had one hope in their minds. That one day their children and their children’s children would be able to stand on free soil and live and worship freely. As the years progressed, the fledgling nation would face numerous obstacles and adversities. One of the major ones being the Revolutionary War.

Men like Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, John Adams, Patrick Henry and Thomas Paine fought hard for this idea called freedom and liberty. It was their hope that a nation could be built where men were free to dream, live, and worship. The 13 colonies were in upheaval as the people had to decide whether they would remain loyal to the crown or if they would take the necessary steps to be a free, independent nation. The colonist tried everything they could to mend the problems between the new nation and the British crown, but when the problems remained, the colonist had to take action. Cries like, “No taxation without representation,” were on the lips of the enraged colonist. Samuel Adams organized a group called the Sons of Liberty who disguised themselves as Indians as they performed the act which has come to be known as the Boston Tea Party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOuS_4HVbL

The Sons of Liberty destroyed the tea, and left the rest of the boat unharmed, sending a distinct message to the crown. As time went on, it became necessary for Thomas Jefferson to write a document stating the stance of the colonists. Crafting the Declaration of Independence this document bonded the fledgling nation together. War was inevitable. However, the country was still divided as loyalist (otherwise known as Tories) remained loyal to the Crown. Thomas Pain described in “The Crisis” papers an encounter he had with a loyalist.

“I once felt all that kind of anger, which a man ought to feel, against the mean principles that are held by the Tories: a noted one, who kept a tavern at Amboy, was standing at his door, with… a child in his hand… after speaking his mind as freely as he thought was prudent, finished with this unfatherly expression, ‘Well! Give me peace in my day.’ Not a man lives on the continent but fully believes that a separation must some time or other take place, and a generous parent should have said, ‘If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace’; and this single reflection... is sufficient to awaken every man to duty. Not a place upon earth might be so happy as America.” Pain’s work was inspiring to the nation, and George Washington even read Pain’s “Common Sense” to his troops to strengthen the hearts of the men fighting for freedom. After three years of fighting, America was free from oppressive governmental rule.

It was not long before the Founding Fathers realized they would have to craft documents that would secure America’s freedoms for centuries to come. After much toiling and a few trial attempts, the Founding Fathers introduced one of the most important documents to be written in America: The Constitution. Later on, the Bill of Rights would also outline the freedoms of the American people.

This is only the beginning of the story. If it had not been for these men and women taking a stand for truth and justice in 1776, there would be no America today. The blessings each American citizen enjoys today is a result of the determination and dedication of all the men and women who took a stand for liberty, but why would these people be willing to risk everything? For surely they did. When the men signed the Declaration of Independence they were defying the king; if the colonist did not win the war, these men were signing their own death warrants. During this war, how many times did a mother sit next to her fireplace and reach over to clasp her child close as tears trickled down her face. How many mothers looked at their children and said, “My dear, your father is not coming home. He has died so you might be free.”

This heartbreaking scene would have been all to common, but how could these people have faced such struggles? What gave them the courage to take this bold stand for freedom? Thomas Jefferson answers this question in The Declaration of Independence. “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.” This is what gave the colonists courage. They saw what could be, not only what was. They were visionaries. They were willing to put their lives on the line so future generations could be free. This is why in 2016 men and women can stand up and say, “I’m proud to be a free American citizen.”

As the years passed, more trouble awaited the new nation, but with a resilient faith and determination the country faced their obstacles. More wars would come. The expansion of the west would take time and lives. Daniel Boone would blaze the Wilderness Trail. Lewis and Clark would struggle to map the Louisiana Purchase with the help of Sacajawea, and Davy Crockett would take a stand at the Alamo. Then, as the Industrial Revolution hit men like Thomas Edison and Alexander Graham Bell would pave the way for inventions to further American progress. What do all of these men have in common? They were all dreamers. They all saw what could be, not only what was.

These men were thankful for their freedom and used their God-given talents to make a difference. When a group is free, dreamers can flourish. No nation in the world has been so thoroughly blessed with dreamers as America. Some names have already been mentioned. Others would include Samuel Morse, George Washington Carver, John Deere, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Amelia Earhart, Walt Disney, John F. Kennedy and Ronald Reagan. All of these men and women had different areas of expertise, but they all pursued their dreams. Furthermore, all of these men and women had one thing in common. They lived in America. The freedoms outlined in The Constitution and Bill of Rights encouraged a place where anyone could dream.

However, Ronald Reagan made a statement that must never be forgotten. “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.” In preparation for the coming election it is vital the American people do not forget this wondrous heritage and strive to help preserve it. Another quote from Reagan states, “If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.”

If the American people desire to follow Reagan’s advice, it is vital to vote for the presidential candidate who will strive to preserve the American people’s freedom. The voices from the past seem to be asking a question to every citizen of America. “What will you do with what we gave you?” Then, it seems the voices of the future children are asking. “Will you allow us to be free?" The way the American people vote will determine the outcome.