Prepared For The Worst

Prepared For The Worst

How you react in an emergency determines whether you'll survive.

18
Prepared For The Worst
Flickr

While traveling in Europe last semester, it really hit home for me how many normal, unsuspecting people are caught up in the world’s most terrifying events. On the morning of Tuesday, March 22, my flight from Paris landed in Vienna, and I paused in the airport to look up directions to the hostel. A notification from the BBC popped up on my phone, and when I opened the article, I read that explosions had just devastated the airport in Brussels, leaving behind a number of casualties. This really hit home for me as I realized how often these attacks occur in our world today and how easily a catastrophe like this could touch your life. 32 people died in Brussels as a result of the airport attack and subsequent metro bombings, and the world mourned with Belgium as the names of victims were released.

This attack was all I could think about as my friend and I left the airport in Vienna and proceeded to use public transportation to explore the city. The people waiting in line at that departure gate in Brussels were travelers like us, looking forward to exploring a new destination. They were going to be reunited with their families, anxious to see their loved ones after spending time in Belgium. No one likes to dwell on the fact that someday this could happen, and most people don’t take the time to really consider what they would do in such a situation.

The fact is that if a disaster occurs, emergency rescue teams are not going to be the first to respond – you will be. The most important factor in your survival is how you personally respond to the situation since quick actions could not only save your life but could also rescue those around you. This also applies to violent crime, and it’s especially practical to consider how you’ll protect yourself in everyday situations. Personal safety is an important thing to consider at all times, whether you’re arriving at your study abroad destination or walking around your hometown. Here are some quick tips to help you be more aware of yourself, more observant of your surroundings and more prepared to not only protect yourself but to take on the world with confidence.

1. Trust yourself.

Don’t overthink your natural response to a person or situation. If you get a strange vibe from the person talking to you in line, stay in a public place and make sure you’re not followed. If you feel uneasy in a new area of the city or realize you are lost, get out of the situation as fast as you can and find someone you can trust to help you. You don’t need to blame yourself for feeling a certain way -- you should actually be thankful for the alarm system that naturally alerts you to danger. Your body responds with fear and apprehension for a reason, and you shouldn’t try to convince yourself that everything is fine. Remember that if a situation feels wrong, there’s no reason to put yourself at risk and no need to justify your actions to others.

2. Know yourself.

Every person reacts to emergency situations differently, and it’s not always possible to predict how you will respond. Most people assume their actions will be based on their personality type, but this is not the case. You’re not guaranteed to handle a stressful situation well simply because you’re an outgoing and confident person. You might freeze completely when faced with danger, and your body may completely refuse to obey your mind’s commands. You also might spring into action too quickly, and this could hurt your chances of survival by allowing your emotions and adrenaline to make you act recklessly. The best way to prepare is to observe how you act in high-stress environments, such as car accidents or medical emergencies and to learn what you could do better next time to quickly manage the situation. If you’ve never experienced a traumatic event, it’s helpful to read about the possible reactions and consider how you will counteract your body’s response to shock. The more you know, the more you will be able to manage your response if your life depends on fast, effective and strategic action.

3. Prioritize yourself.

When traveling, you should strive to be as respectful of other cultures and as open to new people as possible. Even so, if someone approaches you in a threatening way or tries suspiciously hard to convince you to do something, it’s perfectly fine to take whatever exit you can and get away from them. Don’t be afraid to be rude -- in fact it’s often best to ignore people who approach you on the street. People with good intentions will not put you in a situation that threatens your safety, and they would understand why you would feel uneasy in such a position. If you believe you are at risk, always choose to offend someone rather than give them the chance to harm you. The vast majority of people you’ll meet while traveling are wonderful and kind, and I have been helped by generous strangers all over the world. There are, however, also individuals who are intent upon using your politeness to manipulate you. The best option really is to just leave the area, and you should never feel guilty about abruptly ending an encounter that makes you feel threatened.

4. Use your senses.

Be extra observant of people, and take notice of any behavior that’s out of the ordinary. When you’re walking in a city, look at those around you to see if you’re being followed. Observe your surroundings too, especially if you’re exploring a city for the first time. Try to remember how to get back to your hostel, and memorize the route to your favorite restaurant. You should always have a map or directions on your phone for backup, but it’s great practice to try to navigate on your own! This will also help you appreciate your surroundings more, and you’ll find yourself taking in more of the scenery and learning more about the local culture.

5. Consider your options.

In any situation, whether it’s managing a stressful event or trying to treat a minor injury, you should be prepared to act quickly and decisively. It’s good practice for the worst-case scenario, and it’ll also sharpen your senses and your reaction time. Don’t dwell on the prospect of getting caught in an emergency, but take the time to think about what you would do. If you refuse to consider the possibility, you’ll actually be more panicked if the unexpected happens; if you brainstorm your options ahead of time, you’ll be much more effective and more confident in any traumatic situation.

Thinking about the possibility of danger should never discourage you from traveling or stop you from stepping out boldly into the world. By preparing for the worst, you empower yourself as you realize that the biggest determinant of whether or not you survive is your own reaction. We live in a world where tragedies happen to people enjoying concerts and clubs, eating in restaurants, or just trying to catch a flight home. Honor their memories by considering what you could do to help protect yourself and others in these situations. Ordinary people do extraordinary things every day, and you are no exception! Life is not meant to be lived in your comfort zone, so live courageously knowing that the adventure is worth the risk.